TechSpot

Thermal Gell

By bneumohr
Sep 13, 2003
  1. Hello, i'mbuilding my first self-made comp :)

I am going to buy thermal gell for my Athlon 3000+ and would like to know what the best brand of gell is and how i install the gell..

Can anyone tell me a good tutorial site for applying thermal gell?

Thank you very much in advanced,
    -Bneumohr

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

3. bneumohr

bneumohr TS Rookie Topic Starter

asdf

Thanks ALOT, that helped me quite a bit.

Also, is it nesessary for me to use the thermal gell, even if i will most likely NEVER overclock my system?

4. StormBringer

Yes, it helps to make a good even contact between the CPU and the HSF, in case the surface of the heatsink isn't perfect. It also helps in heat transfer.

Thermal compound is not just for overclocking, it is essential for proper heat dissipation.

5. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

HOWEVER,
    If you are buying the 3000+ in the retail packaging(comes with Heatsink and Fan) just use the thermal pad that is already on the heatsink. Otherwise you void your warranty...

6. bneumohr

bneumohr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, thx, i'm am buying 3000+ retail, so it should come w/ a pad.

I guess i will use the pad then.

Thx alot.

7. NV30

NV30 TS Rookie Posts: 275

If it has a pad, should you still use AS?

8. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

No he shouldnt, the factory AMD heatsink and thermal pad should give him all the cooling he needs, he's not overclocking. If it burns up it will be covered under warranty. If he uses AS it will VOID his warranty.... Just use the thermal Pad...

9. NV30

Ohh, that makes sense. :) Not having owned an AMD machine before, is the stock pad quite robust as far as cooling goes?

10. StormBringer

no it isn't, but neither is the stock HSF. I wouldn't recommend running either unless you are satisfied with "adequate" temps. If you want good efficient cooling which can greatly reduce many problems, even when running at stock specs, get AS and a good HSF.

11. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

well i use a 2400+ retail fan and expensive coolermaster thermal paste (and 3 case fans) and my 2100+ hits 58 degrees tops - which is fine - but im getting a Zalman CNPS7000A and some ASIII soon - should bring the temps down and the OCing up!

Steg

12. NV30

Alright, so if I buy a retail AMD CPU it would be good to use AS and a better HSF then. It voids your warranty though...

13. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Try using Arctic Silver's new Ceramique thermal compound. Its non-conductive so it wont void your warranty. I've never known anyone to make a warranty claim for their cpu, as if it goes during operation, then its because you didn't fit your heatsink correctly. That isn't covered by warranty.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.