These are the Smart TVs that have received Netflix's 'Recommended' award

midian182

Staff member

Last year, Netflix introduced its ‘Recommended TV’ program as a way for consumers to identify the televisions that "deliver a superior smart TV experience.” This year, the streaming service has made it much more difficult for models to be awarded the label by introducing a stricter set of criteria.

TVs that can be considered for Netflix’s 2016 'Recommended' designation must come with at least five of the following seven features: TV instant on (TV quickly wakes up and apps ready to use instantly), TV resume (TV wakes to the same place it was at when turned off), latest version of Netflix installed, fast app launch, fast app resume, controller has a dedicated Netflix button, easy Netflix icon access.

The company emphasized the fact that only the best Smart TVs would be considered for its ‘Recommended TV’ award this year.“None of last year's TV models would have met the new 2016 criteria,” Netflix said.

So far, only two manufacturers have earned the logo, Sony and LG, but other brands have yet to be evaluted by Netflix.

As is evident by the required criteria, TVs that promote Netflix with features such as a dedicated remote button are more likely to be awarded the ‘Recommended’ logo. While the program is partly a way for the company to promote itself, a TV that wins Netflix's seal of approval can give consumers an indication of its performance.

As pointed out by Variety, one of the reasons why there are so few models on this year’s list (so far) is because Netflix reduced the maximum time allowed for TVs to perform certain tasks.

These are Netflix’s Recommended TVs of 2016:

LG 2016 4K UHD TVs with webOS 3.0: UH6300 series, UH6500 series, UH7500 series, UH8500 series, UH9500 series, G6 series.

Sony 2016 Android 4K UHD TVs: X850D series, X930D series, X940D series.

Additional models and brands will be added as they become available and are evaluated.

Permalink to story.

"controller has a dedicated Netflix button"

Ridiculous! This "feature" adds nothing to the value of the tv set. Yes, I have it on mine and it's the most used button, but still, I could have accessed the app the regular way.

I don't need a netflix button. LOL, I usually watch TV with my Apple TV and use my own TV remote (Apple TV learns any remote). I would never make a netflix button my criteria for best TV, and I prefer SAMSUNG products thanks but you lose Netflix.

I use to see this all the time when a Request For Price quote was issued with tightly drawn specs so that ONLY ONE pre-selected vendor could possibly satisfy all the requirements. It's known as gaming the system - - done all the time to follow the process but still get what you want as an outcome. Welcome to the Procurement Process of the '60s.

I don't need a netflix button. LOL, I usually watch TV with my Apple TV and use my own TV remote (Apple TV learns any remote). I would never make a netflix button my criteria for best TV, and I prefer SAMSUNG products thanks but you lose Netflix.

I develop smartTV applications, and Samsung is (in my opinion) one of the most difficult TV's to develop for. Code that works on every other device, doesn't work on Samsung, and generally more hoops to jump through to make it work properly.

I develop smartTV applications, and Samsung is (in my opinion) one of the most difficult TV's to develop for. Code that works on every other device, doesn't work on Samsung, and generally more hoops to jump through to make it work properly.
That is why I use a REAL streaming device. Not crap stuffed into a TV. When I buy TVs, it's never because it has an app that is compatible with a service I have. There are no good Internet TVs. None of their built in stuff is any good. I feel sorry for people missing the excellent experience offered by an Apple TV, or heck, even a Roku

Back