TechSpot

These self-destructing SSDs will physically destroy the NAND flash on your command

By Shawn Knight
Sep 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's one thing to have your personal notebook filled with family photos, music and movies come up missing. It's a different beast entirely when that missing notebook contains business information, trade secrets or the login credentials of your employer.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Like something out of a James Bond movie. Completely pointless to most of us but awesome none the less. I wonder how the fracturing actually occurs?

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,904   +951

NSA:
    "move along everyone, nothing to see here"

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,554   +2,361

Tempting product, but I'll be willing to bet the asking price on these things will be just as impressive as their function.

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Peter Graves from beyond the grave approves...
    [​IMG]

Sniped_Ash and MID.AS like this.
  6. Also triggered by airport scanners. awesome.

7. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Looks like what happens when you give it too much voltage, that might be what is happening just overclock the voltage till poof.

8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +521

But then how will that work if the battery has gone flat? I'm guessing it's more complex then just increasing the voltage until poof.

9. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Maybe, I was just taking a guess at it from the look. I'm pretty sure it is more complex but I have no idea what exactly it does.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,505   +2,053

Just hope it goes up in smoke after the warranty has expired or you could have a tough time claiming.

11. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +271

In the US, the FBI threw a temper tantrum about unbreakable encryption announced by google and apple; it will be interesting to see if the FBI has a complete nervous breakdown about these. A brute force attempt at breaking the encryption on the "unbreakable encryption" devices with the FBI's computing power certainly has a minimal chance of succeeding, but nothing will "crack" this means of protection.

12. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah totally, me too :D.