Thinking of upgrading- need aid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

It's been a while since I've put together my own system so I'm out of touch with what's going on with pricing and options out there, so I'd love some suggestions or input here!

I have a store-bought system currently, a VPR Matrix MODEL 2250. It's a 2.2 Ghz processor. I also have 768M Ram. (I messed up my order one time when upgrading to 1 GB and ended up with 768 instead. Hehe- Oops!) I'm not sure how to find out exactly what motherboard this system has, I looked on the VPR website and it simply says that an Intel motherboard was used. It has a soundblaster 5.1 Live! soundcard.

My saving grace is my video card, a GeForce 6800 GT OC, which makes most games still function fine on my system, which will carry over to the new upgrade.

Anyhow, I am a major gamer and it's long in the tooth now... I'm looking for an affordable processor and/or mobo and definitely more RAM. I either need to keep the mobo I have and upgrade RAM and the processor to a 3.x or get a new mobo and processor. Just something to extend the system another year or two max.

If I had a budget of say $400-$500, what would be a good course of action? I saw a nice processor that is a Dual Core for $300, but it said it's a 2.4 Ghz and I'm not sure how games treat that from a specs standpoint- seems like having the dual core would make it work for games that require 3.0 processors.

Anyhow, what would be an affordable route to take here? Any ideas are welcome, I just don't have the cash to get a new system.

Well

I am 98% sure that your video card is a AGP card wich makes your "Saving Grace" 6800GT the weak link in your chain.

Todays graphics interface is PCI Express. Problem is motherboards that you want to upgrade your platform to are not made with AGP anymore. Meaning you need a new graphics card.

But for a nice little system that performs rather well and dont break the bank id look at this article.

https://www.techspot.com/article/25-affordable-am2-gaming-system/

If you want the name of your motherboard, download CPU-Z and look under the motherboard tab of the program for the name of the motherboard.

Druidblue said:
I saw a nice processor that is a Dual Core for $300, but it said it's a 2.4 Ghz and I'm not sure how games treat that from a specs standpoint- seems like having the dual core would make it work for games that require 3.0 processors.

Don't look for dual core CPUs that have over 3.0GHz speed. That is the wrong spec to expect out of a modern CPU. Clock speed is hardly the most important variable in a CPU anymore (but that's hardly the point).

That dual core 2.4GHz CPU you saw would definately outperform any single core 3.0GHz CPU. Why? because It's dual core. It processes more in less time.

Like Jim said, if you want a new motherboard, then in order for it to be "new" then it must have PCI-Express graphics interface instead of AGP. PCI-E is faster than AGP too.

What I think you need now is a motherboard, Core 2 Duo, more RAM, and a new graphics card to work with the motherboard. However, your current RAM might not be DDR2 and might not fit in a new motherboard either :(. So this means you may have to get new DDR2 RAM instead. A fortune would probably go to waste (video card, RAM) if you get a new motherboard and upgrade your existing PC.

Upgrading this much stuff will cost quite a bit and might not exactly be logical, and you might want to build an entire new PC instead. If you do, then you won't have to worry "a fortune going to waste" since you are getting entirely new parts and will have two computers in the end!

Acknowledging these facts, what's your next course of action?

Hope I helped :)

Grafficks said:
If you want the name of your motherboard, download CPU-Z and look under the motherboard tab of the program for the name of the motherboard.

Don't look for dual core CPUs that have over 3.0GHz speed. That is the wrong spec to expect out of a modern CPU. Clock speed is hardly the most important variable in a CPU anymore (but that's hardly the point).

That dual core 2.4GHz CPU you saw would definately outperform any single core 3.0GHz CPU. Why? because It's dual core. It processes more in less time.

Like Jim said, if you want a new motherboard, then in order for it to be "new" then it must have PCI-Express graphics interface instead of AGP. PCI-E is faster than AGP too.

What I think you need now is a motherboard, Core 2 Duo, more RAM, and a new graphics card to work with the motherboard. However, your current RAM might not be DDR2 and might not fit in a new motherboard either :(. So this means you may have to get new DDR2 RAM instead. A fortune would probably go to waste (video card, RAM) if you get a new motherboard and upgrade your existing PC.

Upgrading this much stuff will cost quite a bit and might not exactly be logical, and you might want to build an entire new PC instead. If you do, then you won't have to worry "a fortune going to waste" since you are getting entirely new parts and will have two computers in the end!

Acknowledging these facts, what's your next course of action?

Hope I helped :)

All input is helpful (even if it's not what I want to be hearing, hehe) so thanks.

I'm not too sure what I'll do. I've been unemployed for 4 years, with no prospects on the horizon, so when I get cash it's a set amount and a one-and-done deal. That said, I also work (when working) in development, so having a solid system is always important to me- I'm on my computer the majority of each day, every day.

I grabbed the GeForce specifically to give my system extra life last year (or whenever they released, at the time it was the best card on the market) and due to that card I can run just about anything on the market fine (I'm not a stickler for having options maxed, having them on medium is still prettier than what I had growing up hehe). That said, some of the newer games won't pass specs (like say Rainbow Six Vegas)... I play alot of MMGS games too like EQ2 and possibly Vanguard coming up so having more oomph would be a good thing.

To get this cash I'm going to sell my Bowflex, so I'm only likely to get about 600ish and might possibly have an extra 100 from Christmas. I'd rather not spend all the money I get though on the upgrade, as I want to have some for online subscriptions, etc. I'd like to stick to around $500 if I can pull it off. I'm hoping to just squeak something out that will let me run Spore and enjoy some EQ2 while landing a job before the decade is over (hehe).

So, with the dual core processors, even though it was listed as 2.4 Ghz, the game would accept it as what, a 4.8 technically? This is a new concept for me, the whole dual core thing wasn't around when I built my last system a long while ago.

If I can't really do anything to upgrade my current system I guess I'll go the opposite route and grab a 360 or a Wii to bide the next year or two away until I get some income. Mind you, once I get some income, I'm going to go out and buy the most state of the art system I can land my paws on. :)

To Druidblue, Belarc advisor or PC Wizard will tell you what's under the hood.
To grafficks, I'm not trying to step on any toes, but I would think there would be a way to upgrade without the extremes of your build( though yours would be smokin') The guy is on a budget and only needs it to last another yr or two. I'm in the same boat.

Upgrade

Well here is a list of stuff for ya and Id say this would be a pretty fair upgrade, However it will cost you most of your $600 But it is pretty decent and in my opinion should be the bottom line for an upgrade for you.

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103029

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813127007

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145568

HD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144417

Video - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130062

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129012

The case comes with a decent power supply, i have used this case with similar builds about 20 times.

Although im sure there will be opinions about it only being 380 watts and that you need a 700 watt.

This is by no means a top end system, however it will be a night and day difference compaired to what you are using now. It will handle most games at med-high settings. The games that you play should not be an issue for this system on high.

Not saying you have to go with this system but im just giving you a estimate of a system that will last you a while and at least is upgradable to better things.

I knew there was a way to get the job done. Nice build JimShady23. i would've built Intel, but that's me. i've never tried AMD, so , maybe your's is best. Merry Christmas

Damn newegg links never work for me... (I'm really sorry if this is what you posted JimShady23, I can't use your links)

I'd say just get a cheapie processor like a Athlon 64 3200 or 3500 and then get an Antec Sonata-II case because that comes with a very good 450watt Antec PSU, then get 1gb of value ram, and a 7900GS. Reuse your old hard drive and optical drives, and there you go, new system that is much more powerful for maybe $350? $400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back