Thinking of Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipmike33

Currently I have a Pentium 4 506 proccessor and Im thinking of getting a Pentium D 805 dual proccessor. Im debating whether or not to buy the Pentium D or should i just buy a new motherboard so that i can OC my 506? Will i get better performance when it comes to gaming? Will i see the difference?

Thanks in advance.

This is a though call. But before you even consider a Pentium D, make sure you Chipeset supports them. The 945 chipset is the lowest that will support the Pentium D.

AtK SpAdE said:
This is a though call. But before you even consider a Pentium D, make sure you Chipeset supports them. The 945 chipset is the lowest that will support the Pentium D.
Im buying a combo that i saw advertised for $189.99 which i thought was a pretty good deal. So im sure it'll be compatible.

I would go with the Pentium D. Since the smithfeild core is basically two Prescotts, it could be a decent Overclocker itself. Just make sure that you have adequate cooling on the CPU.

I would upgrade the mobo to an AMD and buy the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800, performed much higher in benchmark tests

Pentium D 840: 123
Athlon 64 X2: 141, the highest score ever for an non-overclocked CPU!

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
I would upgrade the mobo to an AMD and buy the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800, performed much higher in benchmark tests

Pentium D 840: 123
Athlon 64 X2: 141, the highest score ever for an non-overclocked CPU!

You are joking right? Lets talk price.

AMD 4800+ $632.00

Intel 805 $129.50

Next time, think before you recommend!

Intel vs AMD... again...

Intel definetly has the bang for the buck factor now. I never thought this would happen. I thought that AMD would always outperform, as well as out price Intel CPU's. Seems that attittude has shifted. Too bad, but I still run an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+. I love the thing, and I would never trade it for an Intel D, but if I was on a tighter budget I would have got the P4D. The great thing about these is that they're apparently great overclockers. If thats all you can afford, go for it! You wont be disappointed. I love the dual core. I multi-task a lot, and I can really see a difference when I run different apps simultaniously, like Nero DVD burner and F.E.A.R. Running both at the same time would have been almost impossible without a dual core, so this makes PC's really versatile.

Wayne

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'd want to get the AMD but currently im on a tight budget. I might just wait a month or two until prices goes down and then i buy an AMD dual core, because a $650 proccessor is waay out of my budget, the most im willing to spend on a proccessor is $300 and thats if it comes with a motherboard :). I guess right now i'll just OC my 506 and wait a while until prices goes down...anyone have an idea on when that might happen?

0009 said:
AMD is still better.

What an ignorant statement. The current Athalon Series is better, yes. I can not agree more. But to say that AMD as a brand 'is better' doesnt make sense. A Pentium M many times will out preform its turion conterpart. And the Xenon series is a decent preformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back