TechSpot

Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors

By brownkat
Jan 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I've set up the laptop to work with 2 external ThinkVision L171 monitors, using Windows 7 Professional. One is connected via the VGA monitor port on the laptop; the other is connected via VGA to a Lenovo/DisplayLink USB 2.0 Port Replicator (model VDK8736 -- with drivers updated).

Both monitors are working well and available when the laptop lid is closed. The issue is that after the screen saver period completes, the laptop powers down completely. I'd like it to just shut off the screen and resume on mouse movement.

The laptop is used with external monitors when it's plugged in -- and the power settings are:
    Balanced profile
    Display turns off after 2 hours
    Screensaver starts after 10 minutes
    Computer goes to sleep - Never
    Hard disk off - never
    Internet Explorer: Javascript Timer Frequency - Maximum
    Desktop background settings : available
    Wireless Adapter Settings: Max Performance
    Sleep - Never. Hybrid Sleep: Off Hibernate After: Never Allow Wake Timers: Disable
    USB Selective Suspend: Disabled
    Intel Graphics Power Plan: Balanced
    Power Buttons & Lid: Lid closed - Do nothing; Power Button - Sleep; Sleep Button - Sleep
    PCI Express - Moderate Power
    Multimedia - When sharing media - prevent idling to sleep; When playing video - Optimize video quality

Does anyone know why this is happening and a way to prevent it?
    Thanks!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,065   +169

This is a tough one. Have you made any progress on this issue?

3. brownkat

brownkat TS Rookie Topic Starter

TMagic650, thanks for your interest and response. Actually, the problem seems to be under control after I disabled the screen saver.
    If it reoccurs, I will re-post.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,065   +169

Okay, good... thanks for the update:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.