ThinkPad T60: New battery doesn't charge!

Hi,

I have recently bought a new Thinkpad AC ADAPTER and a new 12 cell battery to my "Thinkpad T60 1953" notebook.

After i received them I pluged both new devices into the notebook but battery cant get charged!!...

Whenever i plug the new ac adapter to the notebook when is not turned on the lighst start blinking like: 1. orange battery and green litle plug lights appear, after a second shuts and apear green batery and green litle plug and after a second just apears the litle green plug lightened, this cycle continues until i take the plug of adapter from the wall socket.

ehn I turn on the notebook with the ac adapter there is always a beeping going on like the notebook is switching on and off intermitently with some seconds between the beeps. Here first theres a orange light with a green light when the notebook is switched on but after a second appears a green battery light then lighs go off and start all again. its very noisy.

I made two litle videos on cell phone i order for someone see whats happening when the notebook is turned off with ac adapter plugged and when is turned on with acadapter plugged:

AC ADAPTER PLUGGED WITH BATTERY & NOTEBOOK OFF:
mediafire.com/?8rieyu6uq6zoz6f

AC ADAPTER PLUGGED WITH BATTERY & NOTEBOOK ON:
mediafire.com/?a12fxsll8nhcu32

I dont have the original lenovo software but windows 7 so i dont have maintanance battery check software but the battery is new bought on eBay and carger new as weel bought on eBay as well.

The new ac adapter i bought details are:
P/N: 92p1108 - FRU: 92P1108 PA 1900-081 / output: 20V 4.5A 90W.

My old ac adapter details:
P/N: 92P1158 - FRU: 92P1157 PA-1650-161 / output: 20V - 3.25A.

The Battery details are: 12 Cell Battery IBM/LENOVO Thinkpad T60 40Y6795 40Y6799

The back of my thinkpad says: ... output 20V-3,25A.

Can someone tell me whats wrong with the notebook?? Is this normal to charge a new battery. I left the notebbok charging a hole afternoon and didnt charge at all..

Hope anyone can help me...

Boto

Can you explain briefly what was happening that promted you to buy a new battery and AC adpter. Why did you think they both needed to be replaced?

Hi Mark.

I have bought the battery because I had one that came with the notebbok when i bought it. It was everthing ok then the AC adapter start giving problems, i mean it would go off and on, probably a cable issue or someother kind of problem. Then one day the battery start not working at all and there was always a blinking battery icon orange all the time. I went to internet to know mor info about this and discover that i need to replace the battery.

I bought then a 12 cell battery that last long and because i sawmany web pages that the T60 adapter was the 90W i bought one of those but apparently it does not work... but also the 65W does not work as well. I try yesterday toi plug the 65W again and it sowed the same simptoms as the 90W one.

For reference my previous cell battery was FRU 42T4504 (10.8V-5.2AH) and the 12 cell new battery is FRU 92P1133 (10400mAH-112Wh).

Yesterday i went to a elecrical shop and they kind said that the 20V jack neds to have 3 polarity and the one i had just 2, it seems the center pin didnt have polarity...

Thats what happened...

Some guy told me that there are peoblems with the 12 cell battery for T60? is this true?

Thanks.

Boto

I doubt if I can help much more with this. You need to get somebody with good electrical knowledge to test the adapter and check the voltages are correct.

It sounds to me as if there is a possibility that the battery charging/voltage regulator circuit in the PC is malfunctioning. That may need to be taken to a computer repair shop to get it checked out.

The battery in question is 10.8V not 12V.

I have checked on various sites that sell batteries and chargers for your PC that you have the correct parts.

The problem I believe is, as I said before, that the charging circuit inside your laptop is faulty and needs to be checked by a professional. Chances are that the original battery and adaptor had nothing wrong with them, the fault is inside the PC.

Hi Mark,

Thnaks for your reply,

Well let me tell you the recent5 activity on the notebook.

I have received another ac adapter 90W and connected to the notebook without the 12 cell battery and turn on fine and windows oprations were stable.

When attached the 12 cell battery on it and pluged the ac adapter the two lights orange and green stayed stable unlike the other two ac adapters i used before. When i turned on the notebook it started normaly without beeps and windows open fine but when i opened the battery maintenance program the notebook frezzed but i could read "battery connected but not charging".

Does this helps in a way in determining nthe problem here?

Is the battery faulty? ac adapter faulty, or do you beleive still in a innternal pc problem?

Thanks.

boto

Well, it now sounds as if you have a working adaptor but still there is a problem with the battery or the charging circuit.

When you say "the notebook frezzed" what exactly happened.

"battery connected but not charging". This would suggest that my earlier suggestion that your charging circuit is faulty is the correct diagnosis. Unless, you have been really unlucky and got a faulty battery as well.

The notebook freezed means that the notebook as soon it lauched all the backgoround programs stopped working, i could not move the mouse, or anything was blocked. the system hanged and i have the press the off button to shut down the notebook.

In the past this happened to me when i connected some hardware with malfunction to the notebook...this make me beleive that its not a proper battery for the notebook or its a faulty battery or theres a problem in the notebook charging circuit. If its this last option how can i see if its indeed from the circuit the problem?

When i do not attach the battery the notebook works ok and it does not hang/freeze/stop working.

I am sorry, I should have guessed what you meant, the correct word is Froze. I appreciate the problem with language as I am English and live in Spain, the grammar is very difficult.

So, if I have understood correctly, everything is fine with the battery and the adaptor until you open the battery maintenance program. Tell me, what happens if, with the battery connected you unplug the cable coming from the adaptor, does it continue to run from the battery, just switch off, or do you get an error message?

Hi Mark just did the test and the results:

When i unplug the ac adapter the computer shuts completely. Perhaps theres no charge on the battery but again the system froze as soon windows started up even without clicking on any program shortcut... Maybe the machine is not accepting the battery.. it works well without the battery.

One other new thing i noticed now is when battery and charger are pluged there are both orange and green lights on but the orange binks second by second. On my other old battery this blinking orange is much faster. Does this means anything to you??

Somhow i tryed to switch on the notebook just with the battery and it starts but shuts after a second or two because theres no charge on the battery.

Well this are the results so far..

How well does everything work if you use the new adapter and the old battery? Can you open the battery maintenence program without it crashing?

Hi Mark,

yesterday I did manage to open windows and stayed on for more than one hour WITH ONLY an usb mouse. With the ultranav mouse it gets froze the system. Also I read on the internet that this battery problkem gets solved if the network adapter propertires get disabled. the item Deep smart power down must be disabled but i dont know the portuguese for this terms to get it disabled on my windows portuguese version.

I will try to get the batteries and the notebook to a repair shop today to check this because its very strange this behaviour.

Hi Mark, still with the same problem.

Please tell me some good shops where i can buy a genuine IBM battery to my Thinkpad T60.

Please help me.

Thanks.
Boto

Back