ThinkPad won't charge with AC Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

harken

My thinkpad has stopped charging with the AC adapter. It still gets juice through the adapter - doesn't shut off even when battery is showing zero charge left, but it is not charging and the computer battery icon does not indicate that it is plugged into the adapter. Battery does charge when in the docking station. Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

Same Problem....

Did you get this resolved? My Thinkpad T42 is having the same problem. I have replaced battery and AC adapter and it still doesn't even recognize that it is plugged in.

It will charge the battery while the computer is on and running, but will still displays that it is running on battery power (not recognizing that the AC adapter even exists).

It will not charge at all when the computer is off.

I am stumped!

check out if your laptop works without battery. just put battery out connect AC adapter and turn it on. if notebook will turn on - then i think, the problem is with the battery or KBC chip.

Still Doesn't Work

I took the battery off and it still works.....but still won't recognize the AC (actually indicates that it is running on battery)

Take a close look at the connectors in the case where the battery connects. Polish them with a pencil eraser. Then straight any points or otherwise bend them until they are more snug.

On the power adapter, a green light tells you nothing. Put a high quality volt-ohm meter on the outputs to see how DC output reads. It should detect an output of DC similar to that posted on the label of the adapter

Power adapters for IBM are cheap on eBay, but DO NOT get an adapter "made for the IBM Thinkpad". Get one that is an IBM or Lenovo OEM adapter.

kjeroe
reinstall windows from recovery partition. if the problem still exists:
return the laptop via warranty service(if coverable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back