This creepy robot built by Google-owned Boston Dynamics performs its best Karate Kid impression

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google-owned robotics design company Boston Dynamics recently published a video of its Atlas robot pulling off various poses while standing on one leg, atop a cinder block no less. The robot, sometimes referred to as Ian, is drawing similarities to the famous “crane” pose from the ‘80s flick The Karate Kid.

Although Ian doesn’t exactly pull off the kick that actor Ralph Macchio made famous, it’s no doubt impressive (and a bit creepy) to see the robot in action.

That loud noise you’re hearing is the electric generator used to power the robot. Oh, and that crane kick that many have discredited as ineffective? Yeah, it works in a real fight.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

A sceptic might say it's being supported substantially by the hook it is attached to above its head, but I guess it's reasonable they don't want it falling over and damaging itself :)

Well, we had a good run guys.

Time to bow down and power turbines for our robotic overlords now.

Oh wait, we haven't perfected batteries yet.

Umm, didn't the Karate Kid jump, kick with the opposite leg, and land on the opposite leg? Wait, what?
If the headline read 'watch this robot balance on one leg', would you have watched it? Cause I wouldn't have. With the word 'Creepy' in the headline this story sounds more like a bad ad on the bottom of a tabloid site.

Sorry, this robot still nothing compared with TARS or CASE from Interstellar movie XD

I can't say that's much impressive. Just a simple balancing act. (n)

Youtube is filled with much more impressive robot tricks, for example:

Back