This extended gameplay trailer for 'Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare' may win over some critics

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Infinite Warfare, the 13th primary installment in the long-running (yet uber successful) Call of Duty franchise, has received its fair share of criticism since its reveal in May.

Much of what has flustered critics is Activision’s insistence on pushing the gameplay further and further into the future. Last year’s game, Black Ops III, was set in 2065 with Infinite Warfare presumably taking place many years later considering its plot involves a struggle for control of the solar system.

This, in turn, has led to many people comparing the game to other futuristic shooters like Halo. Fan have also been vocal about expressing their displeasure as the reveal trailer for Infinite Warfare is currently the second most disliked video on YouTube with more than 3.1 million thumbs-downs since being published on May 2, 2016 (for those curious, Justin Bieber’s video for Baby is the most disliked video of all-time, having registered more than 6.5 million dislikes since early 2010).

It didn’t help matters that EA’s next Battlefield game is going back to its WWI roots.

Nevertheless, Activision has stood by its decision in the wake of all the negativity and may slowly be winning over some fans. To that end, the company recently published a gameplay trailer that more or less showcases Infinite Warfare’s first campaign mission. As you’ll see, it starts off with true boots-on-the-ground gameplay but within just 10 minutes, the action moves to low orbit.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare arrives on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC on November 4.

Permalink to story.

I'm still just as unimpressed as I was with the announcement trailer. I hope it's good because I'm going to buy it just to play the remastered version so I don't want this to be a $60 icon in my steam library.

My heart was racing at the end of this trailer. Nearly fell asleep around 13:30 while eating ramen...I almost fell on my fork!

OK, let's take a look at Freelancer: Call of Duty Edition trailer:-

- Super-linear paths? Check.
- Excessive irritating constantly "vibrating" camera shake that makes absolutely no sense relative to the directional explosion forces you're supposed to be feeling? Check.
- "Giraffe wearing a rigid surgical collar" head bob when sprinting? Check.
- Excessive "blind as a bat" unrealistic exaggerated depth of field in every cutscene? Check.
- Obviously optimised for controller with slow as treacle turn speeds and only 1-2 enemies at a time coming from the same narrow arc? Check.
- Weak hacking mechanics that have barely any measurable effect on gameplay to give the illusion of "depth"? Check.
- Blatant ripoff of Freelancer in space combat mini-game? Check.
- Calling in "gun runs" for every mildly difficult shoot sequence involving 3 or more enemies despite having virtually infinite auto-regenerating health that makes the entire game already easy as p*ss? Check.

Here's a novel suggestion. If you overly "sequel-spam" the same franchise over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over with every minor themed variation you can think of, then there comes a point where a franchise label will stop describing the style or character of the games within (eg, "Quake" style, "Thief" style, "Diablo" style, etc) and instead end up an unwanted "low demand" negative stereotype of the gamers who play it as well as an "uncreative" stereotype of the studios churning them out. Time to start making new games rather than rely on the marketing dept's tunnel vision obsession with flogging one single brand well into the realms of the undead...

Last edited:
All aboard the hate train.
Does it look like GOTY? No.
Does it look fun? Yes.
If you don't like it, that's fine. I'll get it once it's down from $60 and probably enjoy it all the same.

I'm all for hating a lot of the cod trash from the last 5 years but people want to hate cod at this point just because it's cod.

All aboard the hate train.
Does it look like GOTY? No.
Does it look fun? Yes.
If you don't like it, that's fine. I'll get it once it's down from $60 and probably enjoy it all the same.

I'm all for hating a lot of the cod trash from the last 5 years but people want to hate cod at this point just because it's cod.

It's been so long I came across a COD fanboy. Have fun with your ...*yawn* ... Call ... of....zzzzzz

Even if the game is good (which I very much doubt it will be) I still would not buy it. I can't support such a crappy company. their entire marketing strategy is centered around insulting people who buy their games.

this game deserves all of the hate it's getting and I'm glad people are also using their wallets this time.

No thanks. I got off the COD train a few years ago with this futuristic crap. Once they started giving Exo suits and boosting, I checked out. It's just no longer fun. It used to be my go-to console shooter with friends, but we all stopped play COD when they started hashing this garbage out. My go-to shooter these days is Battlefield and I'm more than happy with it. I would by the remastered COD 4 though, if it were sold separately.

Back