This guy completed 'Fallout 4' with zero kills

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Fallout series is known for accommodating multiple playing styles, most of which involve varying degrees of strategy. Given the vast array of gamers around the world, it's inevitable that some like to approach titles from a completely different angle - thinking outside the box, if you will.

Speedruns and limited violence runs have been around for years. Addressing the latter over the summer, Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard suggested that it'd be virtually impossible to play the entire game without violence as that wasn't exactly a goal Bethesda set during development.

That admission, however, didn't stop Kyle Hinckley from trying... and succeeding.

As Kotaku accounts in its lengthy write-up on the matter, Hinckley invested several hundred hours into the endeavor (75 of which came in a playthrough that ultimately failed as he backed the wrong faction). Determined to complete the goal, he started again with a new character.

The gamer used saves to his advantage (saving before important events) in case someone in his crew racked up a kill, etc. Unlike some other games in the series, companion kills in Fallout 4 count toward your kill count. At one point, the game glitched when trying to pacify a situation which forced Hinckley to take the violent option. Remarkably, he still managed to get the AI to kill itself.

Hinckley recorded the entire episode which has been split into 37 videos over on YouTube. I've embedded the finale above which of course, is likely to contain spoilers.

Permalink to story.

Well I'm impressed ..... sounds like my daughters first copy of Pet Rescue must have been enjoyed by more than just her!

That is an impressive amount of work, maybe now that it is complete more than a few people will watch them ;)

I get that its an alternate history, post-apocalyptic nightmare - but honestly, I would love to see more options for non-violent resolutions in games like the Fallout series. Personally, I would have considered it a win even if my NPCs were doing all the killing. That should really be a legitimate option built into the games. That and toning down the language to PG-13.

I call bull#^&$ on actually completing the main quest without killing anyone. Because you have to kill Kellogg at the bare minimum to even access the institute. The part of Kellogg's brain that is taken to the memory den can not be pick pocketed. On top of that every faction has a mission to destroy another faction. Key members of those factions must be killed for the mission to be completed. If they are not completed then the story doesn't progress. Even if you play as the Minutemen (the least violent of the factions) you still have to fight through the institute then blow it up. Of course for those destroy missions you could let the troops your faction provides do the killing not sure if that counts or not. But to me that is gamey. The mission to kills Kellogg has no faction troops to do the killing for you and as the article says companion kills count towards your total. The only other way to do that would be to cheat with the console commands.

I have not watched all of his videos for this so called kill free play through because I don't have enough time nor do I want to watch 37 videos averaging around 30 minutes each. But I have played this game enough times to know that without cheating. If someone that has watched the videos knows where that portion of the play through is then I will gladly watch it. Maybe there is an exploit around it that I don't know about. If there is then I will admit that I am wrong. Until then I am not convinced.

I get that its an alternate history, post-apocalyptic nightmare - but honestly, I would love to see more options for non-violent resolutions in games like the Fallout series. Personally, I would have considered it a win even if my NPCs were doing all the killing. That should really be a legitimate option built into the games. That and toning down the language to PG-13.

Fallout has always been rated M. Trying to go for a PG13 rating would ruin it just like it has ruined many of the classic action movie series. The other Fallout games have less violent options available to players. But it is a post-apocalyptic world. Violence is a part of life in that world. If you want a peaceful game then go play some Farmville or some other peaceful everyone is happy type games. But leave the violence and language in rated M games alone. There is a reason they are M. So that only adults should be able to see them. It is people like you that are to blame for Hollywood not putting out a decent action movie in years. Because they try to cater to the PG-13 crowd.

I call bull#^&$ on actually completing the main quest without killing anyone. Because you have to kill Kellogg at the bare minimum to even access the institute. The part of Kellogg's brain that is taken to the memory den can not be pick pocketed. On top of that every faction has a mission to destroy another faction. Key members of those factions must be killed for the mission to be completed. If they are not completed then the story doesn't progress. Even if you play as the Minutemen (the least violent of the factions) you still have to fight through the institute then blow it up. Of course for those destroy missions you could let the troops your faction provides do the killing not sure if that counts or not. But to me that is gamey. The mission to kills Kellogg has no faction troops to do the killing for you and as the article says companion kills count towards your total. The only other way to do that would be to cheat with the console commands.

I have not watched all of his videos for this so called kill free play through because I don't have enough time nor do I want to watch 37 videos averaging around 30 minutes each. But I have played this game enough times to know that without cheating. If someone that has watched the videos knows where that portion of the play through is then I will gladly watch it. Maybe there is an exploit around it that I don't know about. If there is then I will admit that I am wrong. Until then I am not convinced.

Episode 19, he overrides a synth, beats down Kellogg, and has the AI kill Kellogg. He did do damage, but he did not get XP or credit for the kill because the synth wasn't a companion, he was just a troop.

Always wanted to attempt something like this with a character on World of Warcraft. Level to max without dying once. After a couple attempts, nope. It's doable with patience, but I have none.

Just skip to the 3/4 mark like I did and you can see him open his Pip, go to Data and see he has 0 kills just before hitting the button to trigger the blast.
In the time it took you to write all that, you could have done the same. :)

From the very Kotaku article this links to:

"The biggest hurdle of all, however, has to be the part of Fallout 4 where the player has to kill a character known as Kellogg, the player’s arch-nemesis. Hinckley has to come up with a way to finish the game without personally killing the game’s main villain, absurdly enough.

Hinckley, miraculously, still works through it. He does so by luring Kellogg into a series of mines—not to kill Kellogg, but rather, to get his health down enough. Once past a certain threshold, however, Kellogg will start trying to heal himself (the bastard!). To stop that, Hinckley pops a cryo mine, a weapon that freezes enemies in place. This, in turn, gives the other enemies in the room, which Hinckley has brainwashed to fight for him, a chance to kill Kellogg where he stands. What you have to understand here is, the chances of pulling his off without a hitch—getting all the characters in the right place, having the pacify/incite mechanics pop without fail, and then having the AI successfully kill someone despite their terrible pathing and bad aim—is extremely difficult. The fight took five hours. Five entire hours."

I personally wouldn't call people a liar without at least spending 5 minutes looking into a subject , seems ridiculous to do so.

That's something else, takes some dedication, but with the power of saving and reloading you can do just about anything in a video game. I beat GTA IV on PC without a single death, whole lot of saves, but no deaths.

I'm not going to be watching these 37 videos to confirm the claims, I believe it.

One has much dedication into achieving this.. that tremendous amount of hardwork and time consumed (y)

The more I read such news the more I`m wondering how people waste their time without any regret!:) For what he passed the game without understanding what is he doing?)
I further believe that it's an advertising article than real life case;)
The other side is that he was that the game was interesting for him and he involved and addicted to it ;)

He saw a challenge, he went for it. He deserves his few minutes of fame.
There is no way I'd have the patience to do it. I'm perfectly happy killing Raiders and Super Mutants wherever I find them. For the good of the Commonwealth of course.

He saw a challenge, he went for it. He deserves his few minutes of fame.
There is no way I'd have the patience to do it. I'm perfectly happy killing Raiders and Super Mutants wherever I find them. For the good of the Commonwealth of course.
You're absolutely right! He deserves his 5 minutes of fame) But it is not something to be proud of.. The same thing the Ghost Busters fan are making the replicas of the Ecto-Cars which was in the film. Did you see it?

its an interesting idea for those who dont wanna get into the killing and stealing art lovers period but with al the finer qualities of the other violent games seems interesting if theres something for the art lovers with the higher graphics as those

The guy definitely has some great amount of dedication. I would try and see the positive side of this story I.e his dedication and not the wastage of time though.

Episode 19, he overrides a synth, beats down Kellogg, and has the AI kill Kellogg. He did do damage, but he did not get XP or credit for the kill because the synth wasn't a companion, he was just a troop.
To kill or to allow to be killed or to cause a death is all the same thing. You are directly or indirectly responsible for a death either way. So it is BS as was conjetcured.

Back