TechSpot

This guy used a VPN to bypass congestion and fixed his Netflix streaming

By Shawn Knight
Jul 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As a Verizon FiOS Internet subscriber, Colin Nederkoorn expected his viewing experience with Netflix to be top-notch. But despite the 75Mbps downstream connection Verizon promises, his connection was only able to muster a measly 375kbps when streaming video from Netflix.

Read more

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,665   +312

Antitrust Division’s Citizen Complaint Center ... url:http://www.justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.html

The Sherman Antitrust Act: "The Sherman Act also makes it a crime to monopolize any part of interstate commerce. An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct."

3. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

Had the same Netflix problem. It disappeared after I changed to a VPN. There are some free VPN networks out there, google it.

4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

So digital TV channels do 1080i, and Netflix does 720p if you're lucky...

4K anyone?

5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

VPN for everything. The only issue is some sites blocking all IPs from some VPNs, but there are ways around that. Its sad that we have to resort to these measures to protect ourselves from criminal governments and corporations.

Jad Chaar and H3llion like this.
  6. What happens when you use a VPN without encryption?

7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

wow, I could not even get his previous (streaming) speed. :)

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

This just in, ISPs have now started throttling VPN traffic.

9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

"To 1.8Kbps for all customers to show their appreciation for handing them cash."

Darth Shiv likes this.
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah it really is unfortunate... too bad this will be more prominent in the future.

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +378

Encryption is a pretty integral part of VPNs. I doubt any would offer an unencrypted tunnel... and if one does, why would you use it?

cliffordcooley likes this.
  12. Darth Shiv

This is the exact reason why regulation is required. Private companies with localised monopolies can dictate to customers what they can do with the service they are paying for. If I want to download 100GB on my 100GB limited plan, why should an ISP be able to dictate the speeds I can do that, site dependent? It's a rort and they will backstab, lie, cheat, abuse, rob anyone they can to boost the bottom line.

This is what net neutrality is about. What if the ISP is the only provider in an area and they have no commercial arrangement and, as per the story's implication, limit netflix to say 8kb/s? Your "option" is to "move house"? That's CRAZY.

13. SirDux

SirDux TS Rookie

It's a well known fact to many corporate IT professionals that ISP's will either block or throttle VPN on "Home" connections if they see enough traffic being encrypted. More specifically they block protocol 50 and 51. And you get to have fun trying to get the ISP to understand you are saying protocol and not port. Long live 1-3 line support. I have seen this happen to Comcast, Cox, Verizon and Time Warner customers. Most of the time the ISP's excuse is that " VPN is a "business" service and therefor you need to change to a business account.

14. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

I still can and will vote with my wallet. So far Netflix or Verizon have not throttled my VPN connection. If or when they do/ Bye

15. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TS Booster Posts: 159   +41

I get 1080p on Netflix all the time. No luck needed.

16. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,045   +276

WTF? Consumers have to pay extra to get service they are already paying for? That is CRAZY!!

Very creative. Maybe if someone adopted this approach, we might get this resolved by the courts. I wonder if Netfilx is aware of The Sherman Act?

17. hahahanoobs

You'll have to try someone else. Perhaps the guy in the video, because I'm all out of cookies, badges and gold stars. :(

18. Kevin82485

Nothing braggadocios about my comment just simply stating that you're either misinformed or don't have the bandwidth for Netflix to stream at 1080p.

19. hahahanoobs

And you didn't watch the video. ;)

20. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

hmm; see this for protocol numbers. Personally, VPN (ie encryption) is not the heavy bandwidth consumer and there's lots of good reasons to use it.

It's far more likely to see protocol
    or
    being blocked as this usage is long running (movies > 10 minutes) and consumes far more bandwidth.

21. Kevin82485

I did watch it. 720 is probably the max resolution of the video that the guy is watching in his Youtube video or the max that he can get through his VPN. I watch all Netflix content on my Playstation. The Netflix app on Playstation has a slightly hidden option to display the resolution of the video you're watching by clicking down on one of the thumbsticks, and it always says 1080p for HD movies and shows that I watch.

Also, the guy in the video falsely states that 3000 kbps is the max streaming speed for Netflix, which is false, the max is 5000 kbps.

Check for yourself: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/150

Don't believe everything you read or watch on the 'net.

22. hahahanoobs

Dude. Then your beef is with Shawn and the guy in the video, not me.
    *smh*

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  23. Kevin82485

Lol, typically in a discussion it is helpful to point out facts and/or inaccuracies to support your viewpoint and/or claims which is what I was doing. I was laying out all that facts that I know of to set the record straight. The support of your argument was apparently the video. I was simply pointing out that that the video was incorrect and here is why in order to support my viewpoint, not because I have a beef with you. I have no beefs with anyone.

24. Thanks for the article Shawn .Why using a VPN when you can use a DNS service like UnoTelly? The DNS option is much faster and easier to use.

25. Darth Shiv

DNS does not obfuscate the destination IP.