This huge mechanical machine plays music with marbles

Scorpus

Staff member

For the past 14 months, Swedish band Wintergatan has been constructing a huge, elaborate machine that plays an entire song using marbles. They've just released a video that shows the song and machine in action, and it's pretty incredible.

Most of the machine is made from custom fabricated wood parts, including large gears and levers, along with metal rods and even some Lego parts. When the crank is turned on the right-hand side, the machine starts shooting marbles at a glockenspiel and several drums, and even allows a musician to play bass without strumming.

The Marble Machine appears to be customizable - the Lego Technic pins that dictate what notes are played could potentially be removed - but at this stage Wintergatan has only released one song. It's also worth watching the video below that shows how the machine was made over the course of more than a year.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Like most DJ's, he's not actually doing any actual ****ing music: the sequence was pre programmed and he's just pushing levelers.

Like most DJ's, he's not actually doing any actual ****ing music: the sequence was pre programmed and he's just pushing levelers.

Wow, way to downplay creativity. For one, let's see you go out and build something like this. Two, he has to work the levers at precise times, while also fingering the bass strings. It's about paying attention and memorizing and being sure he can keep up with everything. Regardless, this is more about the machine that the man playing the machine. Stop being a Negative Nancy. Too many of those in the world as it is...we don't need any more. We need to encourage this kind of thing. Not put people down because we think something is stupid or just too simple. Push people...always push. Never put down unless you have proven to be able to do the same thing.

I think you misunderstood me, cliffordcooley!
I know it is real marbles. I had posted a comment about this on my fb page before it even showed up here.
I think it is awesome.
I offered the Animusic comment to give people a starting point in case they wondered what you were talking about (CGI)!

At the renaissance festival this year there was a guy playing bells with a keyboard that was interesting. Of course these things lose interest after a few minutes whether it's 3D modeling or wood and steel constructions. It's neat for a while.

This would be great for a Grandfather Clock chime. I'd much rather have something like this than a 1500 HP Bugatti for show.

Back