This huge mechanical machine plays music with marbles

By Scorpus
Mar 3, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. For the past 14 months, Swedish band Wintergatan has been constructing a huge, elaborate machine that plays an entire song using marbles. They've just released a video that shows the song and machine in action, and it's pretty incredible.

Most of the machine is made from custom fabricated wood parts, including large gears and levers, along with metal rods and even some Lego parts. When the crank is turned on the right-hand side, the machine starts shooting marbles at a glockenspiel and several drums, and even allows a musician to play bass without strumming.

The Marble Machine appears to be customizable - the Lego Technic pins that dictate what notes are played could potentially be removed - but at this stage Wintergatan has only released one song. It's also worth watching the video below that shows how the machine was made over the course of more than a year.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

That took a lot of creating and by the looks of things, that guy has decent carpentry skills. I like to hear how it sounds now.
    B00kWyrm likes this.
  3. Dimitriid

Dimitriid TS Booster Posts: 33   +34

Like most DJ's, he's not actually doing any actual ****ing music: the sequence was pre programmed and he's just pushing levelers.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

The best comment to this was: He must have lost his marbles...
    Reehahs likes this.
  5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,163

Precisely why the article isn't about the DJ.
  6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,498   +672

Dang VitalyT ..... you beat me to it! LOL
  7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 811   +26

Wow, way to downplay creativity. For one, let's see you go out and build something like this. Two, he has to work the levers at precise times, while also fingering the bass strings. It's about paying attention and memorizing and being sure he can keep up with everything. Regardless, this is more about the machine that the man playing the machine. Stop being a Negative Nancy. Too many of those in the world as it is...we don't need any more. We need to encourage this kind of thing. Not put people down because we think something is stupid or just too simple. Push people...always push. Never put down unless you have proven to be able to do the same thing.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. Technician

Technician TS Addict Posts: 677   +113

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

That's high praise when the closest thing to comparison is CGI.
    B00kWyrm likes this.
  10. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Look up Animusic for comparison (Cliffordcooley's CGI comment).
  11. cliffordcooley

Why? I made my point, this topic is real marbles.
  12. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

I think you misunderstood me, cliffordcooley!
    I know it is real marbles. I had posted a comment about this on my fb page before it even showed up here.
    I think it is awesome.
    I offered the Animusic comment to give people a starting point in case they wondered what you were talking about (CGI)!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  13. cliffordcooley

Ahh, now we are on the same page.
    B00kWyrm likes this.
  14. Technician

Technician TS Addict Posts: 677   +113

At the renaissance festival this year there was a guy playing bells with a keyboard that was interesting. Of course these things lose interest after a few minutes whether it's 3D modeling or wood and steel constructions. It's neat for a while.
  15. cliffordcooley

This would be great for a Grandfather Clock chime. I'd much rather have something like this than a 1500 HP Bugatti for show.