TechSpot

This infographic shows who tracks your web browsing habits and how to limit it

By Shawn Knight
Feb 26, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Consumers, hardware makers and even governments have never been more concerned about spying than they are today. It’s pretty much a given that most of the world’s superpowers have elaborate surveillance programs in place to monitor what we do online but who else is tracking your browsing?

Studyweb recently put together a nice infographic on the topic that looks into who tracks browsing habits as well as the steps you can take to limit such activity in various browsers.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

Only 2 types of people should care about this: Alex Jones and people who just don't know any better. If only people realized that this is a non-issue.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

That's why I always have Disconnect running in my browser.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

Do you ad industry goons work in shifts or are you an AI?

SalaSSin and captaincranky like this.
  5. Rippleman

Serious question: Do you know how most free-based websites (TechSpot for example) survive and continue to exist?

6. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Doesn't bug me.

7. r3claimer

r3claimer TS Member Posts: 74

I run Ghostery to block some of the trackers, mostly because cleaning up elements like the social widgets makes many websites far less annoying.

Auth3ntic0, dms96960 and rpjkw11 like this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

You are a minority in your opinion. And.....
    [​IMG]

Auth3ntic0 and captaincranky like this.
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,887

Naw. Good ole Rippy's just trollin'. I for one am outraged by his comments, blah, blah, yadda, yadda ;), ad naseum.

10. Rippleman

Minority yes, logical yes, correct yes. The "majority" in the world still believes that angels are real too.

11. captaincranky

There used to be a "pro wrestling" manager named "Red" something or other. His schtick was wearing a silk baseball jacket which had, "I am right" , emblazoned on the back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Berry_(wrestler)

I have no idea why your last post reminded me of him. Ah well, I suppose it will come to me.

Besides, angels are real. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to ponder how many can dance on the head of a pin...(y)

12. cliffordcooley

You are absolutely correct, Hollywood's perception of angels don't exist. Hollywood's perception of just about everything is fiction.

13. captaincranky

But, but, but, angels are real...:D I saw two of them French kissing in a movie I downloaded last night...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Kibaruk likes this.
  14. Rippleman

I didn't say anything about hollywood.

15. cliffordcooley

You had to have gotten your fiction from somewhere.

16. captaincranky

This is exciting! I must me on both of their ignore lists...:D

cliffordcooley likes this.
  17. Rippleman

The mass paranoia that the media hypes to make the average person fear everything is most defiantly fiction like you say.

18. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,201   +595

It's important to bring light on what companies do with personal information. If no one really cared and reports like these were never done, you can bet that companies would start using more aggressive advertising methods and cookies.

19. Rippleman

I 100% agree in EACH point you make.

However, I must ask you since you don't say: what do you consider "personal" information?

20. cliffordcooley

If no one had a personality of their own, that wouldn't have been a question on anyone's mind. The fact that you knew to ask the question, tells me you know what personal information is. I'm starting to question the level of your IQ, that is something I rarely ever do.

21. Rippleman

Where in the question does it show that I know his answer? Do you magically know his answer? What's your answer? IQ is 129 from all sources including doctors. So I am neither smart nor slow. Just average, but it seems odd since you seem to tie IQ to being able to read someone else's mind. IQ tells nothing about ones ability/accuracy to guess what other people considers "personal" even if you are claiming it does since its such an open term. Are you claiming to know his answer for him? Does that say something about your IQ? What about you.. what do you consider "personal information"? We could be on the same page and you don't even know it since you haven't made your position known of what's "personal".

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  22. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

Ironically, I see 20-30 sites tracking me after I installed LightBeam addon and hit F5 to refresh my page. Thanks for the tip though.

23. cliffordcooley

I agree captain! There is no way Ripplekid (I'm demoting him) doesn't know what personal information is. There is no way someone with an IQ of 126 wouldn't know that. Then he ask me what I thought after I had already linked it with personality differences. I'm done here, moving on to the next article.

24. Rippleman

Reading is not your strength, I said 129. I wonder is this is the source of your confusion. No matter, so you say you link personal information with personality differences. Fine, but specifically what? If this can mean anything, then simply coming to techspot violates your privacy since their server records will show you been here. Do you consider that spying? You also didn't answer for the other guy like you tried to earlier. Does this mean you don't know what he considers "personal"? No? So then why try to answer for him? And then when asked out right what you consider personal, you shut down and go away. Is this because you have no answer? You haven't defined your own limits yet? Which is it?

Added: If you are relating logic (and agreeing) with that elderly guy Captain Cranky, you have already lost without any further need for discussion.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  25. captaincranky

You're being fitted for that tacky, "I am right" jacket, even as we speak.

Cliff is so easy to suck in, and he becomes so over invested. I don't care who you are, who you think you are, and even less about your IQ. BTW, mine runs up to about 134. It depends on the topic, and context.

With other type testing, my reading comprehension scores run into the 98th percentile. In math not so high, but still in the eighties.

FWIW, this topic was a sucker's bet to go all in on. That's why I've been only supplying the laugh track.