This is a scam, right?

By ajac63
Mar 31, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Received this text msg on my mobile earlier.

Great News! Your Mobile No Won£485000GBP Samsung UK/Malaysia Promo To Validate&Claim Prize EMAIL Your Unique ID:CS829A;Name;Addr&Tel to:

Okay, I'm fairly certain it's a scam, but you never know - and I could do with the funds ;)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

Don't know which Top Level Domain this server belongs to!

Checking IP:

3. ajac63

ajac63 Topic Starter

Seems .lol stands for laugh-out-loud and it's registered through Uniregistry Corp
  4. BadDog101

BadDog101 TS Rookie Posts: 20

Sound to good to be true? It is. Many people still fall for Nigerian 419 scams in emails.
    I've been offered millions and millions of dollars but just not stupid enough to respond.
    Don't be a sucker. :cool:
  5. ajac63

ajac63 Topic Starter

Deleted it days ago
  6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I think people are getting more aware of the Nigerian scam emails these days. The ones I find most damaging are the fake PayPal emails starting "Dear Customer" (PayPal use your name - any email from them starting Dear Customer should be deleted!) and the bazillion "Invoice" emails with infected attachments I see through various email systems.

I wish I could identify what it is that compels people to open an email attachment from an email stating "Invoice" from a company they've never done business with before... It's like ooooh... Been sent an invoice from some random email address... oooooh I must open it... Really?? :D
    ajac63 likes this.