This is HP's smartwatch, designed by Michael Bastian for Gilt

Shawn Knight

Staff member

michael bastian gilt hp watch smartwatch

HP is prepping what looks to be a high-end smartwatch compatible with both Android and iOS. The yet-unnamed smartwatch is being crafted by US designer Michael Bastian in partnership with online fashion flash sale site Gilt according to a report from Fashionista.

As the story goes, HP reached out to Gilt with the idea of bringing in a fashion designer to help create a smartwatch. Gilt then went out and recruited Bastian to design the exterior of the timepiece which is said to be inspired by the interior trim of a luxury automobile.

The watch features a 44mm stainless steel case and multilayered finish with inlaid button controls, distinctive bezel bolts, a lightened chronograph and three different bands to choose from.

Naturally, HP handled the technical internal workings of the watch and its accompanying app which will be sold exclusively through Gilt's website this fall.

The report claims wearers will be able to receive e-mails and text notifications, control music remotely and check weather, stocks and sports updates. Or in other words, it doesn't sound like HP and company are bringing anything new to the table in terms of functionality.

It seems as though the smartwatch market as a whole is shifting towards relying on fashion designers to build elegant devices that put aesthetics over functionality.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but I'm still not sold on the whole concept of a smartwatch as I don't feel they fill a gap or meet a need. They can only pull off a few of the many tasks that smartphones are capable of so, why not just use the phone for everything like we already do? Why complicate things with yet another device that performs the same features?

What do you think? Let us know in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but I'm still not sold on the whole concept of a smartwatch as I don't feel they fill a gap or meet a need. They can only pull off a few of the many tasks that smartphones are capable of so, why not just use the phone for everything like we already do? Why complicate things with yet another device that performs the same features?

Maybe the companies realized that it's time that smartwatches look more like a timepiece than a square gimmick. Many people who still wear watches wear them as an accessory to their wardrobe rather than to tell time... You are not going to entice them with the Samsung gear. So far the motorola and this one have a lot of potential!

I for one wear a watch everyday as both an accessory and to tell time during meetings where my phone stays in my pocket.

Smartwatches are insignificant to me at present time because:
1.) battery life on both the watch and the phone are short as it is
2.) bluetooth drains even more battery
3.) IMO smartwatches would be more useful as an independant device, although I cringe at the thought of paying ANOTHER phoneish plan.

And I think alot of people feel this way.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but I'm still not sold on the whole concept of a smartwatch as I don't feel they fill a gap or meet a need. They can only pull off a few of the many tasks that smartphones are capable of so, why not just use the phone for everything like we already do? Why complicate things with yet another device that performs the same features?

Maybe the companies realized that it's time that smartwatches look more like a timepiece than a square gimmick. Many people who still wear watches wear them as an accessory to their wardrobe rather than to tell time... You are not going to entice them with the Samsung gear. So far the motorola and this one have a lot of potential!

I for one wear a watch everyday as both an accessory and to tell time during meetings where my phone stays in my pocket.

This.

Also, look at Beats, Apple, and Nike. None of these are top of the line products, but sell at top of the line (or higher) prices with fewer/inferior features and less lifetime than competitors. So why do people still buy them? Fashion and social statements. Every time I see a teenager with these products I think to myself, "Look at me - I'm ignorant/stupid and have a lot of money! Please rip me off!".

^ Do you also have those same thoughts when you see someone driving a nice car or wearing a Rolex?

If Apple launches one, just watch around here, EVERYONE will notice (or pretend they do).
You mean when Apple launches one, then the big iFans eyes will go all heart (or apple) shaped, they'll start foaming at the mouth, loose control of their bowels and bladder, all they'll be able to do is stare, point and gurgle incoherently until they have one.

You mean when Apple launches one, then the big iFans eyes will go all heart (or apple) shaped, they'll start foaming at the mouth, loose control of their bowels and bladder, all they'll be able to do is stare, point and gurgle incoherently until they have one.
Maybe but just as likely, if not more so, will the Apple haters come out in full force.

Mostly gold diggers.

They usually look at

1. Cars
2. Watch
3. Shoes

To them these gives them a good indication if a man has money lol.
So these gold diggers wouldn't be interested in me because of my bicycle, LCD display watch and beach thongs then... :D How disappointing.

Back