Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

is this overheating?

motherboard 38c 100f

AUX 46c 115f

samsung 29c 84f

thats wat everst said.

it looks fine, but i have not a clue as to what hardware each spec is referring to, or what kind of hardware you've got there.

What symtoms does ur pc have when it over heats.....

Usually it Does this:

When computer turns on there is a buzzing sound from the fan

The computer will then shut off for no reason later or freeze up

If you immideatly try to turn it on it wont because it is still hot

If you try later it will work for a few minutes

I have had this problem before and these are things that you could do to fix it

Is your computer in an inclosed space?

How many fans does your computer have? mine has 3

My Dad also had this problem and he just leaves the case open.... keeps it cool

I just got a new bigger fan that works better

When was the last time you opened and vacumed and cleaned the inside of your computer and cleaned your fans with some alchol and some qtips

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have fixed many of my friends computers by doing this... Dust will kill a computer

*Bows*

Sir Ifntallis Willowood

There are CO2 blaster you can buy on the market that will also help. If you have the dough, look into liquid cooling. I was having heat problems w/ my CPU, but I went liquid and solved things in a hurry.

its not my computer is my cuzis comp. he says when it goes really hot more than average it laggs alot

does he have any good/active protective software installed? if not, i reccomend running a scan using AVG free edition (you may need to scan in safe mode if said pc is loaded). this is available from free.grisoft.com and downloads an exe file. run that file and preceed with the installation. once you get the avg program updated, run a full system scan. reply with the results of your scan.

AMD or INTEL

What processor do you have in your box?
AMDs generally run really hot. If you're running a 3400+ or above its not uncommon to see them go 30 cel. to 38 cel @ idle and 40-47 cel. while running common apps. Some of the higher end Intels are no better. Also if you build your computer, and are using a bulit in temp. utility to see CPU temp. you may want to check if there is a bios upgrade (the synchronization may be off).

ahh, the amd a64s dont run that hot at all. granted, they are producing more heat that thier pervious amd processors, but compared to the intel prescott the 90nm a64s run an order of magnitude cooler.

AMDs

I've worked with AMDs, and the only thing that would make a difference temp.-wise is the core. For example, Clawhammers tend to run hotter than any other AMD core (San Francisco, Newcastle, etc.) But, yea AMDs do run that hot and the only thing that will prevent the processor from heating up that hot is a good cooling system (heatsink). I was talking about the higher end AMDs (3400+ and higher). You are right about the lower end AMDs, like the 2800+, they do run cooler than the prescott.

the 90nm athlon 64 cpus have less thermal output than thier same-class prescott counterparts. the clawhammer core, like the newcastle, is a 130nm process not a 90nm one. and how hot are you talking about?

Surprising

That's news to me. Do you have a temp. comparison chart that states this? I've always thought that all the older core AMDs run much much hotter than their intel counterparts. For the older clawhammer cores (for example a 3700+) the temps. reach 35-37 cel. @ idle and 45-50 cel. during heavy processing tasks. Of course, this is the case if you have a good heat sink and are using a decent compound. I know one guy who overclocked his 3700 clawhammer @ 5.0Ghz, but he had a massive refrigerent based cooling system. Now, if you are refering to the newer AMD cores brought out then I would agree that they run cooler than their intel counterparts.

AMDs have been running cool since the Thoroughbred core, & since the Athlon64 they've been running cooler then Intel equivalents, it's nothing new.

I myself am still running a 0.13 Athlon64 & it runs very cool even under full load (with the stock heatsink). When idling cool'n'quiet kicks in & the CPU lowers its speed to 1GHz & the voltage to 1.1v. It then runs cool enough for the CPU fan to shutdown in order to lower noise (like on laptops).

bigger problems!!!!

we solved my cuzins comp problem with addimg 2 new fans now it a problem with mine. I never had problems with heating until now...its all started 3 days ago i was playing some halo then boom it froze i rebooted and played again thinking to my self i was running to many programs so this time i only ran halo and xfire and again its frezziz. Its been happening evr sicne i play for about 10 min then frezzez.i think its my cpu and hd temps. ill give u the temps after i play a game of halo for bout 8 min. here they r
Temperatures
Motherboard 44 °C (111 °F)
CPU 50 °C (122 °F)
WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 47 °C (117 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2394 RPM
I have another case fan but it dont detect it
Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.50 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.00 V
+12 V 11.73 V
-12 V -11.54 V
-5 V -1.03 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 3.14 V

i have a intel p 4 prossecor 2.66ghz if u want more info just tell me dont look at the profile ones those r very old oh yea here is my mobo info:
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 08/10/2004-SiS-661FX-6A7I4M4DC-00
Motherboard Name MSI 661FM2-V (MS-7060)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth [ EVALUATION ] MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
Expansion Slots [ EVALUATION ]
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS661FX
Extra Features [ EVALUATION ]

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information

Its Probably Not Overheating

The problems that you described coincided with a similar issue that I had with my AMD. You probably have one of the new "smart" motherboards that are out.
The problem was that my comp would always crash whenever I overloaded it with resource demanding applications. I put tons of fans in the case and reapplied arctic silver 5 heat sink compound. It would work for alittle while, then crash. I'd run a bunch of system utilities like defrag, system cleanup, Ad-aware, Avast virus scan, and Microsoft spyware all at the same time. My motherboard is an Abit-board (a "smart" board) and the Guru clock would always read 65 deg. cel. when the resources were in use. Now, thats hot!! My core is clawhammer and it can operate up to 70. I found out that the guru utility reads directly from the bios, the temp of the CPU whenever this temp exceeds a certain limit, the motherboard shuts down the CPUs functionality (thus everything would freeze). The real problem was with the BIOS and its synchronization with the hardware temperature detection. I am a bit pissed at Abit for waiting so long to put out an updated bios to fix this problem, but it was the root cause. I'm sure if you check your motherboard manufactorer's website you'll find a bios update. Fans and heat sinks will only work up to a certain point. Plus you should NEVER blow a fan on your components with your case open.

Not mobo

the mobo is actually old i think um i have the live update thing that came with my mobo and it downloads any new updates (last time was like a week ago) so i dont hink its my mobo...and sry but i dont even know wat a bois is :(

restarts?

Now evrytime i play a game for like 5min+ my comp restarts and i press delete in startup to see the temps and there always on either 52-56 thats my cpu temp the others were lookin good under 49c except my hard drive was at 51c.

Need help here :( :( :( :( :(

you may be dealing with a faulty power supply there. what brand, model, and watt rating is it?

uhm, buy new gear...

I would reccomend a new heatsink...or possibly water cooling....those temps sound insane...
If youre going to go heatsink, id go with the Thermaltake cl-p0024. Reviews about this heatsink are nice, people are saying that it has lowered their cpu temps by 20 degrees! Also, with this heatsink, you can place two fans, directly on the heatsink, which is pretty awesome.
You could also go water cooling, but if you dont even know what the bios are, id suggest having someone help you out with the install of the water cooling system. It can get tricky.
Also, you might need better airlflow...its best to have one flow through your case. all of your fans should be blowing in the same direction, sucking air in through the front, and blowing it out the back...
Also, there are many cooling devices out there. You said that your hardrive was getting kinda hot too...there are such things as harddrive coolers....they are like 45 bucks at comp usa....
There are tons of cooling products out there...www.coolerguys.com sells a whole bunch of cooling gear...check it out!
hope this helps...

chaz d.

Heat sink

You could spend endless amounts of cash on a heatsink that will probably NOT fix your problem. The Bios is a small binary program that resides on the motherboard. It is used to provide communication to your hardware. Most bios are built on Flash technology, enabling you to erase the binary code stored on there and install a new binary code. It will not usually be found on an automatic update from your board manufactorer. Best thing to do is go to the motherboard website or call them for directions on how to do this. You might also try reapplying thr heat sink compound. Arctic Silver 5 is one of the best compounds you can get. Also, if you apply too much heatsink compound, it can act as an insulator and heat up your CPU. My advice is to do this, see if your temps go down if they still run hot, then start looking at other options.

System summary

Ill just give u guys my sytem summary so u guys can know at im dealing wit here:

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack [ EVALUATION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name PC-3LXVVEDMRK4G
User Name E
SMTP E-mail Address sajedabegum@sbcglobal.net
Logon Domain [ EVALUATION ]
Date / Time 2005-09-12 / 17:05

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Motherboard Name MSI 661FM2-V (MS-7060) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX
System Memory [ EVALUATION ]
BIOS Type Award (08/10/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 661FX (16 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE UDMA Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST34321A (4 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/33)
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 (149 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax (16x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) [ EVALUATION ]
E: (NTFS) 152625 MB (148426 MB free)
Total Size [ EVALUATION ]

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
Primary IP Address [ EVALUATION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-11-09-E7-FB-DF
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (69.1 [ EVALUATION ])
Modem Intel(R) 537 Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Auto Microsoft Office Document Image Writer on PC-QM4M2QGDKS6Q
Printer EPSON Stylus Photo 820 Series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Logitech Dual Action USB

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
DMI BIOS Version 6.00 PG
DMI System Manufacturer
DMI System Product
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number [ EVALUATION ]
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
DMI Motherboard Product MS-7060
DMI Motherboard Version
DMI Motherboard Serial Number [ EVALUATION ]
DMI Chassis Manufacturer
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number [ EVALUATION ]
DMI Chassis Asset Tag [ EVALUATION ]
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 2 / 1

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 10% on drive C:.

BIOS info

Field Value
BIOS Properties
Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Release Date 08/10/2004
Size 512 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP, USB

Status