This is the new Doom, and it looks pretty badass

Julio Franco

Staff member

Bethesda had a blast hosting its first ever E3 showcase setting a high bar for what's to come later in the week when the conference actually starts. As expected id Software revealed more gameplay of the new Doom (formerly Doom 4, if you're counting). Built on top of the id Tech 6 game engine, Executive Producer Marty Stratton introduced the trailer saying they had identified three aspects that made the foundation of the Doom experience, present and past: badass demons, big f-ing guns and moving really, really fast.

Doom is set to be an unapologetic gory experience -- both in single-player and multiplayer. Even though the latter only received a brief demo, it's been anticipated it will come with gameplay modes such as 'domination', 'freeze tag' and 'clan arena'. Also as part of the presentation, Doom SnapMap was unveiled putting an emphasis on user-generated content from the get-go, this will be the game's cross-platform mod creation and sharing tool.

Doom is set for release in spring 2016 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Also watch the official trailer and brief multiplayer demo below...

Permalink to story.

I think I will definitely have to get this. Just a little bit of wishful thinking but I hope they'll add more animations (per mob type) for the super chainsaw so you don't see the same animation over and over again, but other than that... Holy crap that looks awesome...

It looks like the gameplay 'feel' is very similar to the what classic Doom was.. If that makes sense to anyone else. The quick, continuous movements across rooms, non-stop demons, and pretty cool scenery.. as hellish as expected.

I'm [surprisingly] excited about this one.. They may have done it right. Brings back floods of nostalgia from the 90's..

Oh baby! I remember the first one where we could alter the pixels. I put my boss's face on one of the monsters and gave him a copy ..... he couldn't stop laughing and said he couldn't win because he just couldn't keep shooting himself! Yeah .... bring it on and FAST!

I would say that all that's missing is a .50 cal sniper rifle but DOOM was never about picking off heads at a range.
Well in Multiplayer it looks like they have some kind of sniper rifle, but I'd imagine in Singleplayer/Co-Op the game is going to be too fast paced to make it a better option, especially if swarm tactics is (and was in the past) common.

The gameplay looks generic, but at least the sounds, visuals and monster animations look great. So basically ... the same as Doom 3 back in 2004.

The gameplay looks generic, but at least the sounds, visuals and monster animations look great. So basically ... the same as Doom 3 back in 2004.

Come on. Get real !
This is heads-and-shoulders above Doom 3 and it's still many months away from release ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of doom...but at what point do these a-typical hack & slash games get overly repetitive? You're practically invincible and shooting monsters...how is that new?

Wonder if it will have native VR support. Or are they going to give the proverbial finger to Carmack for leaving?

Meh, seemed to "cartoonish" for me. I might still buy it if just to play the single player campaign and a couple of multiplayer rounds.

Tech engine = motion sickness.... Biggest problem with Wolfenstein series (read the countless forum post)

...unless this crap is fixed , no buy. also the locked 60fps is BS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of doom...but at what point do these a-typical hack & slash games get overly repetitive? You're practically invincible and shooting monsters...how is that new?

That's like asking when rock & roll artists will stop using power chords.

Tech engine = motion sickness.... Biggest problem with Wolfenstein series (read the countless forum post)

...unless this crap is fixed , no buy. also the locked 60fps is BS.

Also no SLI support

I'm definitely going to buy it. Played all the episodes and can hardly wait for this one.
60FPS lock and no SLI? Where did you guys get that from?
By the way, if you are not buying this because of the above reasons, you must be a young kid who didn't get the good old Doom feeling back in those days. Don't get me wrong, that is OK, but you just don't get what we feel when we see this.

Peace

I guess at 32 I am just growing out of FPS games. It just looks like more of the same with a nice coast of paint and some decent mechanics. To each their own.

The only thing that has really impressed me in the past couple years is Witcher 3. I am also looking forward to Fallout 4 as well.

Back