TechSpot

This is what it's like to engage 'Insane Mode' in a Tesla Model S P85D

By Shawn Knight
Jan 28, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. As we've previously highlighted, Tesla's new Model S P85D is a beast of a car that can smoke the majority of performance vehicles off the line. It's able to do this thanks to the combination of its all-wheel-drive system and...

Read more

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Tesla Motors seem to have mastered the art of guerrilla/viral marketing.

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,214   +1,240

Put anyone in a semi fast car that has only driven around in a fuel efficient family car and yeah they will think it is blistering fast.

Not saying the Tesla S P85D isn't fast though because it is ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    cmbjive, ikesmasher and davislane1 like this.
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

I believe you meant compilation video - unless you're talking about the complication with people's bowels.

Arris likes this.
  5. Steve

Based on the video it really could have been either.

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

Warning : Video contains swearing, there does seem to be a link to a "Clean version" in the video.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,034

It looks like fun. I think they could be using 'TrackBite' otherwise that thing is just going to smoke it at the line going nowhere in a hurry.

8. Steve

I thought the same thing, the fact that there is no tire squeal off the line is the most impressive part :)

9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

Ok... Really? Is there really a need for a clean version?

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,549   +2,894

Is there really a need in a vulgar version?

11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

No, but this isn't Vulgar...

12. Steve

#&*%)#( #$@&%*! probably.

Burty117 likes this.
  13. michael ellams

michael ellams TS Rookie Posts: 22

Lets hook a trailer up to tow things add some wait in it like in the real day to day things and lets how long it stays charged there is no way electric will take the place of petrol and diesel vehicles, under load it runs out quick mobile phones anyone. Something else will have to take the place for heavy machinery I cant see planes running like this, ships are another one mining trucks as well this just gets people with money to buy these cars and feel good inside and someone makes maybe a lot of money.

14. michael ellams

(weight)lol

15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,549   +2,894

They are already a good replacement for 80% or more traffic on the highway. It is only a matter of time before they are as convenient to use as a replacement. Your example is no excuse not to reduce "petrol and diesel" traffic. Just because we can't reach the moon in a hot air balloon, doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. If electric cars can be used, then we should minimize the need for "petrol and diesel" on the highway.

Steve and madboyv1 like this.
  16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

What's running out too quick is the battery. Not the technology inherent to an electric motor. But this is significantly influenced by how you drive. Improvements will be made on the power source. Maybe that's hydrogen fuel cell and not battery technology? But power delivery from electric motors are exceptional, as shown in the video.

I'm sure at some point a horse and buggy fanboi's made an argument that gasoline powered cars will never will take the place of "'ole Betsy". The Worlds supply of petroleum is measurable and won't meet demands in our lifetime. It's in our interest to embrace the electric car more than shun it.

Steve and cliffordcooley like this.
  17. michael ellams

fair enough but how long does it take to charge these things and affordable electric cars go what 150 kilometres and then it takes what 8 hours to charge, yes we need to in the long run replace fossil fuels but they need to come up with something that is reasonable priced for 99% of the people and quick to fuel up, I just dont think electric is the best option at this time.

18. michael ellams

I am not a fan boy or horse and cart and if they get it right it will give the arabs and oil barons a good kick to the gonads which they need, but electric with batteries is the problem if they can solve the recharging and distance then it can only get better,and if they can work on a built in recharging system as well that would be cool.I love tech that is good for us as well not against electric, that Tesla has awesome thrust off the mark and seeing their faces was gold but what they release has got to be good for the masses and not costly as well and if they dont get their heads out of their arses it will be to late.