This is what it's like to engage 'Insane Mode' in a Tesla Model S P85D

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As we’ve previously highlighted, Tesla’s new Model S P85D is a beast of a car that can smoke the majority of performance vehicles off the line. It’s able to do this thanks to the combination of its all-wheel-drive system and dual electric motors.

We’ve seen what it can do against other cars but what is it like to actually ride in a P85D with Insane Mode engaged (yes, that’s what it’s actually called)? Hopefully this complication video will give you an idea of the insane acceleration it possesses.

While it's not going to win many distance races, it's difficult to match this kind of acceleration from a dig.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Put anyone in a semi fast car that has only driven around in a fuel efficient family car and yeah they will think it is blistering fast.

Not saying the Tesla S P85D isn't fast though because it is ;)

Last edited:
I believe you meant compilation video - unless you're talking about the complication with people's bowels.

Warning : Video contains swearing, there does seem to be a link to a "Clean version" in the video.

It looks like fun. I think they could be using 'TrackBite' otherwise that thing is just going to smoke it at the line going nowhere in a hurry.

It looks like fun. I think they could be using 'TrackBite' otherwise that thing is just going to smoke it at the line going nowhere in a hurry.

I thought the same thing, the fact that there is no tire squeal off the line is the most impressive part :)

Lets hook a trailer up to tow things add some wait in it like in the real day to day things and lets how long it stays charged there is no way electric will take the place of petrol and diesel vehicles, under load it runs out quick mobile phones anyone. Something else will have to take the place for heavy machinery I cant see planes running like this, ships are another one mining trucks as well this just gets people with money to buy these cars and feel good inside and someone makes maybe a lot of money.

Lets hook a trailer up to tow things add some wait in it like in the real day to day things and lets how long it stays charged there is no way electric will take the place of petrol and diesel vehicles, under load it runs out quick mobile phones anyone. Something else will have to take the place for heavy machinery I cant see planes running like this, ships are another one mining trucks as well this just gets people with money to buy these cars and feel good inside and someone makes maybe a lot of money.
(weight)lol

Lets hook a trailer up to tow things add some weight in it like in the real day to day things and lets how long it stays charged there is no way electric will take the place of petrol and diesel vehicles.
They are already a good replacement for 80% or more traffic on the highway. It is only a matter of time before they are as convenient to use as a replacement. Your example is no excuse not to reduce "petrol and diesel" traffic. Just because we can't reach the moon in a hot air balloon, doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. If electric cars can be used, then we should minimize the need for "petrol and diesel" on the highway.

...there is no way electric will take the place of petrol and diesel vehicles, under load it runs out quick...

What's running out too quick is the battery. Not the technology inherent to an electric motor. But this is significantly influenced by how you drive. Improvements will be made on the power source. Maybe that's hydrogen fuel cell and not battery technology? But power delivery from electric motors are exceptional, as shown in the video.

I'm sure at some point a horse and buggy fanboi's made an argument that gasoline powered cars will never will take the place of "'ole Betsy". The Worlds supply of petroleum is measurable and won't meet demands in our lifetime. It's in our interest to embrace the electric car more than shun it.

They are already a good replacement for 80% or more traffic on the highway. It is only a matter of time before they are as convenient to use as a replacement. Your example is no excuse not to reduce "petrol and diesel" traffic. Just because we can't reach the moon in a hot air balloon, doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. If electric cars can be used, then we should minimize the need for "petrol and diesel" on the highway.
fair enough but how long does it take to charge these things and affordable electric cars go what 150 kilometres and then it takes what 8 hours to charge, yes we need to in the long run replace fossil fuels but they need to come up with something that is reasonable priced for 99% of the people and quick to fuel up, I just dont think electric is the best option at this time.

What's running out too quick is the battery. Not the technology inherent to an electric motor. But this is significantly influenced by how you drive. Improvements will be made on the power source. Maybe that's hydrogen fuel cell and not battery technology? But power delivery from electric motors are exceptional, as shown in the video.

I'm sure at some point a horse and buggy fanboi's made an argument that gasoline powered cars will never will take the place of "'ole Betsy". The Worlds supply of petroleum is measurable and won't meet demands in our lifetime. It's in our interest to embrace the electric car more than shun it.
I am not a fan boy or horse and cart and if they get it right it will give the arabs and oil barons a good kick to the gonads which they need, but electric with batteries is the problem if they can solve the recharging and distance then it can only get better,and if they can work on a built in recharging system as well that would be cool.I love tech that is good for us as well not against electric, that Tesla has awesome thrust off the mark and seeing their faces was gold but what they release has got to be good for the masses and not costly as well and if they dont get their heads out of their arses it will be to late.

Back