TechSpot

This may sound like a silly question...

By absinthe
Aug 21, 2002
  1. ...but what does upgrading BIOS do anyway? I upgraded my BIOS recently and didn't notice much of a difference...

2. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Rookie Posts: 224

They offer new options: Options i know of are larger Partitions / Hardisk size as the standards get higher. Shadowing of memory which arent always included and also options that aren't included on OEM products. I found that with 2 Motherboards that im missing all fancy memory configuration setting, tweaks and other usefull stuff until i Flash bios.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Sometimes there are bugs in the original BIOS shipped with your mobo and a BIOS update corrects them.

I would suggest that, at least IMHO, a BIOS update is something one does to correct a specific problem. If there is no problem to correct, then why update??

4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

I flashed my BIOS because originally it didn't support an Athlon XP. This is probably the main reason why someone would flash it.

5. absinthe

absinthe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, I flashed mine because I had heard that newer BIOS = increased reliability and speed.
    And it was especially the speed I was after.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.