This modification is now allowed because this document is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,I tried opening Word after I reformatted my laptop and I got this message: This modification is now allowed because this document is locked.

All the menu icons are gray and won't let me do anything, this is for the entire Microsoft Office 2003. When I try to activate, nothing happens. I already uninstalled/installed many times. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks

If this happens with all documents, then either you have not activated the
software, or you have a trial version that is expired. What happens if you
click on Help | Activate Product?

If this happens with only one document, then click on Tools | Unprotect
Document.

Nobody seems to have another solution AFAIK

When I click on Help | Activate Product, nothing happens. Nothing pops up or anything. I don't think it's expired because I've been using it for a year or so and this only started to happen when I reformatted. >_<

WayqUp said:
When I click on Help | Activate Product, nothing happens. Nothing pops up or anything. I don't think it's expired because I've been using it for a year or so and this only started to happen when I reformatted. >_<
yes but you lost the registration of the product in the registry. Did you get a
registry backup before reformatting? this is a real pain and even if you have the
backup, you're going to need to extract the correct key and apply it only.

jobeard said:
yes but you lost the registration of the product in the registry. Did you get a
registry backup before reformatting? this is a real pain and even if you have the
backup, you're going to need to extract the correct key and apply it only.

Oh, no I didn't get a registry backup... thanks for the help, but do you think you can explain to me how I can do this? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back