This robotic cube can balance on its edge, stand on a corner and even walk

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We’ve seen robots pull off all sorts of impressive feats over the years but I bet you’ve never seen one like the Cubli. As the name suggests, it’s a cube-shaped robot created by researchers in Switzerland that is capable of a number of surprising talents that must be seen to be believed.

Inside the 6-inch cube is an array of mechanisms that enable it to balance on its edge or even stand upright on a single corner. This remains true even if the Cubli is bumped or the surface it is standing on is raised. But perhaps most impressive of all is the fact that it can effectively “walk” across a surface using the spinning wheels within to create the necessary momentum.

The technology is similar to what is already in use to stabilize satellites and could potentially be used in unmanned vehicles to explore other plants, according to the researchers.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I know the applications are far reaching but kid’s toys just aren’t what they use to be :)

Things like this and the less complex versions such as the Sphero would have been amazing to play with as a kid.

Walking = feet ?
fly = if with functional wings
swim/glide = if in the water
movement/motion for general displacement.
otherwise, the snake in my backyard can now both walk and crawl.

Thanks Santa ;) and Merry Christmass to all humanity. (..and Vegas :p)

ae1f85.jpg

5nurye.jpg

..ps:imageges not a fake I promisse.

Back