This Tesla Model S for kids is the Power Wheels you always wanted

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you're anything like me, Power Wheels made getting around the neighborhood as a kid way more fun. Fisher-Price continues to pump out modern versions of the popular ride-on but it's a product from rival toy maker Radio Flyer (yes, the red wagon company) that's making the rounds today.

The Tesla Model S for kids is a ride-on for children between the ages of three and eight. Designed to be an "exact" replica of the real thing, the toy car features working headlights, a front trunk for storage, forward and reverse operation and even a sound system that you can plug a smartphone or audio player into.

It features two forward speed settings – 3 MPH and 6 MPH – in addition to reverse. It may not be as fast as this modified C7 Stingray Corvette but it sure beats walking.

Radio Flyer is going all out here, offering three choices of paint (all authentic Model S colors), two wheel options and even an indoor car cover. Other optional items include a custom license plate and a parking sign (for an additional $15 and $25, respectively).

The Radio Flyer Tesla Model S for kids starts at $499 and comes with a standard 130Wh FlightSpeed lithium ion battery that's good for six miles of riding. In true Tesla fashion, you can spend a bit more money ($50) for a higher-capacity battery with 50 percent more runtime (up to nine miles). The charging cable even plugs into the toy car in the same manner it does on the full-size vehicle.

Radio Flyer is currently accepting pre-orders for the mini Model S with plans to ship in May.

Permalink to story.

For 500 dollars I would expect it to go much faster than 6mph on its powerful profile...
I've played around with a few ebike motors and many of these motors can take a lot more than what they're rated for. I've seen 1KW leaf motors take 5-6KW and go upwards 60 MPH. Make another battery pack, put it in series and all of a sudden that thing could go 12-15mph. I've been wanting to build an electric gocart for awhile, it might just be cheaper to "hotrod" this

For 500 dollars I would expect it to go much faster than 6mph on its powerful profile...
I've played around with a few ebike motors and many of these motors can take a lot more than what they're rated for. I've seen 1KW leaf motors take 5-6KW and go upwards 60 MPH. Make another battery pack, put it in series and all of a sudden that thing could go 12-15mph. I've been wanting to build an electric gocart for awhile, it might just be cheaper to "hotrod" this
You should start your own tuning & modification shop for these things. Offer things like bigger wheels, breathed upon motor, remapping the ECU, amped up stereos, coil over springs etc. You could find yourself rolling in the dough. Don't forget to offer sheepskin covers for the seats as well. ;)

You DO know this is for children 3-8, right? I'm hoping you aren't a parent, as I don't want a 3 year old going any faster!!!
Meh! Just kit it out with a rollover cage, 4 point seat harness and airbags. When I was that age I certainly wasn't interested in those woosie, sedate speeds, I just wanted to spin up my folks garden beds and scare the bejeebers out of the dog. It's a good thing such things didn't exist back then because if they did I would made a plan to make it go faster. Now that I'm a grandfather I can still see myself playing with these things but I think granny would have a lot to say.

Even Hitler knew, if you get the kids, you got the adults. Training the new generation of consumers. Three choices of paint (all authentic Model S colors), two wheel options and even an indoor car cover, with other optional items including a custom license plate and a parking sign and more (the better battery). For children 3(!) to 8 no less (get them when they have weak reasoning skills-maybe this refers to the parents since only they have the money to purchase this). Where is the extended warranty and service plan?
Between this and the approximately 17 min/hr of advertising on the hours of TV watched daily I think they may have the bases covered. Good thing they can't really read or they would get more propaganda, err, I mean, advertising as well. And they'll have to have one if their friends do or they will make your life a living hell....LOL

Modding a power wheels kids toy? You people have lost it. Get yourself an old ridding mower, pull off anything and everything that is not required, mower deck and all the hardware, then start modding. You'll even be able to enter it in races like the next Twelve Mile 500!

1920-lawnmower-racing-1.jpg

Apparently in Europe Minibike, minimoto, whatever name they go by, are incredible popular with racetracks easy to find as well. Last time I checked they cannot be legally ridden anywhere in North America. Our loss, those 'old ridding mower's' look like a lot of fun. I like the eyes on the red one.

"Play time" doesn't really have to be that long... this is for kids 3-8... Do you know how long their attention spans are?!?!?! 30 minutes between charges would probably be sufficient :)

Seriously though, it's kind of sad to see what toys rich people feel they need to buy for their kids - I bet many of them will be just as entranced by the big cardboard box it comes in...

You DO know this is for children 3-8, right? I'm hoping you aren't a parent, as I don't want a 3 year old going any faster!!!

you'll be glad to know I am not a parent and do not plan on having any children, but I have been riding motox since I took my training wheel off my bicycle at 5 years old. My nieces is slated to start riding motox (50cc) as soon as the snow melts and she's just going on 5 years of age in april. I'm not sure how her mom feels about that, but her dad couldn't be happier to have another gear head in the family :)

Back