This time-lapse video from the ISS reveals a stunning view of our planet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

German astronaut Alexander Gerst recently returned from a six-month stint aboard the International Space Station. Between conducting various experiments in Lower Earth Orbit as part of his Blue Dot mission, the astronaut managed to capture 12,500 strategic images of our little blue planet that have since been stitched together to create the stunning time-lapse clip embedded above.

The video has it all – auroras, sunrises, clouds, stars, oceans, the Milky Way, lightning, cities at night and more. Best yet, it’s available to watch at up to 4K resolution should your display support it.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I gotta admit, I read that wrong the first time. I thought it said ISIS......

My mouth ran dry - OMG - I forgot to close my mouth - absolutely amazing. 50 years ago I attended an NSF summer session on space science with a bunch of really bright kids. Our dreams are becoming true. Thanks Shawn! Thanks Dr Gerst!

Two things are clearly evident in these stunning timelapse videos:
- just how thin the atmosphere is, with most of the air within just a few miles of the Earth's surface;
- the fantastic impact that humans have made, evidenced especially in the night-time shots where every continent is lit up like a Christmas tree.
One does not need years and years of measurements and analysis to prove that Climate Change is occurring - this much is immediately obvious! All those billions of lights, along with all the other sources of heat we humans use in our technological age (homes and industries fitted with billions of energy consuming devices for heating water, cooking, running appliances, manufacturing all those things, all the transportation systems to move them and us around! In that thin fragile atmospheric layer ....... !

Your comment on global warming is dead on. Earth is already overpopulated with more and more serious impact to come. Out of control population expansion isn't being addressed properly, even though it is the problem most likely to cause disaster for the human race.

Back