TechSpot

This time-lapse video from the ISS reveals a stunning view of our planet

By Shawn Knight
Dec 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. German astronaut Alexander Gerst recently returned from a six-month stint aboard the International Space Station. Between conducting various experiments in Lower Earth Orbit as part of his Blue Dot mission, the astronaut managed to capture 12,500 strategic images of our...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

I gotta admit, I read that wrong the first time. I thought it said ISIS......

3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,667   +312

My mouth ran dry - OMG - I forgot to close my mouth - absolutely amazing. 50 years ago I attended an NSF summer session on space science with a bunch of really bright kids. Our dreams are becoming true. Thanks Shawn! Thanks Dr Gerst!

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +599

Stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

The Earth is an amazing planet!

6. All UFO's conveniently airbrushed out. Well done NASA!

7. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

Yeah, it's okay I suppose.

8. Two things are clearly evident in these stunning timelapse videos:
    - just how thin the atmosphere is, with most of the air within just a few miles of the Earth's surface;
    - the fantastic impact that humans have made, evidenced especially in the night-time shots where every continent is lit up like a Christmas tree.
    One does not need years and years of measurements and analysis to prove that Climate Change is occurring - this much is immediately obvious! All those billions of lights, along with all the other sources of heat we humans use in our technological age (homes and industries fitted with billions of energy consuming devices for heating water, cooking, running appliances, manufacturing all those things, all the transportation systems to move them and us around! In that thin fragile atmospheric layer ....... !

9. Your comment on global warming is dead on. Earth is already overpopulated with more and more serious impact to come. Out of control population expansion isn't being addressed properly, even though it is the problem most likely to cause disaster for the human race.