This tiny camera add-on lets you shoot DSLR-like photos on your iPhone

Jos

Staff

shoot raw iphone

Despite all the advancements in smartphone photography, the photos produced still can’t hold a candle to a DSLR or even a good point-and-shoot camera. Some companies have tackled this with accessories like lens attachments, flash units, camera cases, and more. DxO, known for its Raw conversion software and image sensor benchmarks, is joining that growing list of companies with the One.

shoot raw iphone This small add-on camera connects to an iPhone or iPad via the Lightning port and packs an f/1.8 32mm (equivalent) lens as well as a 20-megapixel BSI-CMOS sensor inside. This is the same sensor that Sony uses in its RX100 III, which is priced at almost $800 -- needless to say it’s no cheap affair.

The One will reportedly produce DSLR-quality images in SuperRAW format, which are stored on a removable microSD memory card, while ready-to-share JPG versions are saved to your iPhone’s cameral roll. A companion iOS app lets you access all the manual controls quickly and easily, including an ISO range of 100 to 51,200 and shutter speeds between 1/8,000 to 15 seconds.

Compared to similar clip-on cameras that connect wirelessly, the One’s use of the lightning port means there’s no lag in the Live View feed on your smartphone’s display. When attached it can also pivot 60 degrees in either direction, or you can flip it around into selfie mode. You can also use the DxO as a standalone camera but you are limited to auto mode with no live feed.

shoot raw iphone

Measuring in at just 2.7 by 1 by 1.9 inches (HWD), and weighing 3.8 ounces, the One can fit in your pocket with ease. Priced at a whopping $600, the company is aiming this at serious photographers who want to have quality without lugging around their DSLR, or want to have access to their high-resolution photos on their smartphone immediatly after snapping it.

The camera will ship in September but DxO is accepting pre-orders starting today. Those who buy in also get DxO FilmPack and (for a limited time) the Elite Edition of DxO OpticsPro desktop editing software.

Permalink to story.

Manufacturers place too much emphasis on phone cameras as a selling point and consumers are very gullible so they choose a phone based entirely on the camera. While most phone cameras are fine to take a quick snap with while out and about but if you take photography even slightly seriously no phone camera is close to cutting the mustard, a good point & shoot is the least you should aim for.
When I choose a phone the camera is always near the bottom of the list and the selfie camera doesn't feature at all but that's just me. In fact you can't get a half decent phone without half decent cameras nowadays.

I dare say this is an improvement on a smart phone camera but how could it compare with a DSLR? It has been known for a long time that a decent lens is more important that the mega pixel count. For example my 4 MP camera takes far better pictures than my 8MP smart phone.

I'd be really surprised if a little tiny lens like that can produce a picture to match even a budget-range DSLR lens. It just doesn't have the light-gathering capability.

Nice specs, but most photographers would much rather spend that $600 towards camera equipment and/or a lens. I get the idea...it's smaller, but it's still one more thing you're carrying with you.

Am I correct in thinking this junk is just going to hang off the phone's lightning port?

Not only is the "device" awkward, it's bonafide stupid as well.

You can easily purchase a DSLR with lens for under $600.00. And know what, it's "ergonomic" as well.

I'm positive I can hold any SLR camera steadier than an awkward phone with a sidecar.

But then, I guess a camera isn't as "swavey and dee-boy-ner", as wun o' dem thar iPhonies.

Back