This video examines how much it would cost to construct a real-world Jurassic Park

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Jurassic World hit theaters over the weekend, pulling in a record-setting $208.8 million in its US debut. That’s quite a bit of cash but apparently nowhere remotely close to what it’d cost to actually build a real-world version of the dinosaur theme park.

Fandango’s Movieclips channel recently set out to come up with a realistic figure. The production factors in costs for things like real estate, genetic scientists, animal caretakers, a paleontologist, cloning dinosaurs and more to come up with a colossal figure which doesn’t even include annual costs to keep the park running.

I won’t spoil it here but only 32 of the richest people on the planet would be able to fund the construction of Jurassic Park.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmm ..... so what was the number? With all the new construction, purchase of the island, immense infrastructure, cost of creation, breeding, and upkeep of the animals. The real figure certainly must be approaching over 750 Billion and closer to One Trillion Dollars. Oh yeah, and don't forget those extra tips for the poor fellows in the front end loader and dump trucks that have to pick up all that poop!

It would take just one dinosaur cloned to spike real interest and raise the funds needed.

And we most likely would have heard of one by now, if it were possible.

It would take just one dinosaur cloned to spike real interest and raise the funds needed.

And we most likely would have heard of one by now, if it were possible.

IIRC they have been floating the idea of bringing back the mammoth via cloning. The absence of a complete DNA sample has hindered efforts, however.

-'How much is this bag?'
-'$100k.'
-'You people mad?'
-'Its genuine Velociraptor leather.'
-'Oh, I'll have three, please. Do You have any T-Rexes?'
-'In a corner on the right.'

IIRC they have been floating the idea of bringing back the mammoth via cloning. The absence of a complete DNA sample has hindered efforts, however.

With so many complete frozen "samples" found, I can't fathom what's the hold up? :)

Back