Three in five US households with broadband also own a connected TV

By Shawn Knight
Feb 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A new report from TDG Research suggests that if you have a broadband connection but don't own an Internet-connected television, you're now part of the minority. A full 63 percent of all US broadband households now own such a device...

Read more
  2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Yay! I count as a minority. I wonder if I can get free cable for my clearly disadvantaged status?
  3. I have no need or interest for a connected television. I have other devices capable of doing the same thing and more that will connect to my TV with little effort.
  4. gibbstar

gibbstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 30

All my TV's are connected to the internet via Roku on the main set or BluRay player in the bedrooms. The smart TV that my gf's room mate had was ok, but integrating this system into a tv is still fairly new tech, and as a result I've seen some issues. This is the same with all new tech, however, and I'm sure it will improve in the future. For now, you can move up a few inches bigger on your set and skip the 'smart' option and just stream via your bluray or Roku.
    My last room mate was one of those people who had to have all the channels on cable, and so his bill was over $200/mo for comcast. I have access to far more movies, tv shows, etc and I only pay $9/mo for netflix, $79/yr for amazon prime, and then about $3/rental when I wanna see something that just came out via Vudu. WAY cheaper than traditional cable and no commercials for the most part.
  5. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

The headline in the article is misleading. It should have read TV that are connected to the web in one form or another. Under that definition I have had connected TV for a number of years via a Nintendo Wii. In fact the main use of the Wii is BBC iPlayer.
  6. I hope this puts more pressure on cable/satellite companies. Unless they make some great changes (a la carte channels for example), I won't be returning to them. Long live Netflix/Hulu!
  7. richalone442

richalone442 TS Rookie Posts: 24   +10

I bet most of the Smart TVs out there are never connected to the web, or connected, but never used, TVs for the most part are still used to watch broadcast/cable,direct TV/Dish programming, and gaming on consoles, and watch movies from DVD and Blu-Ray players
  8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +461

I had no faith in "smart" tvs, that was until my parents gifted me one.

Couldn't complain of a single thing, sometimes I want to watch a movie without turning on the computer and I just plug in the hard drive to the tv, or stream from my phone through wifi, or connect netflix directly to the tv, hulu and stuff like that.

Probably something I could've lived without but since it was a gift it's a nice improvement.
  9. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

If it is a choice between a TV screen or PC monitor I prefer the TV. Ironically a survey in the UK has concluded we are watching more on TV but the majority of online TV viewing is catchup TV. The two programs at the top of the list were Sherlock and Doctor Who.