Thumping sound whenever videos are played

LonnieD

Hello,
Hopefully someone can help with this problem I am having.
Whenever a video starts there is an annoying thumping sound. This also happens momentarily when I plug in an external drive or go to file explorer and click on a drive.

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC, i5 CPU, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Thank you.

Thump is from the stereo speakers or the system speaker (if there is one)
<if from a HD, suspect mechanical failure soon>

Guessing - power management turns HDDs off to save battery so they are usually off

Test - check voltage levels and ranges when you start a video; plug in external HD and use explorer to look in a HD
Test - check SMART status of HDs (I use HWInfo and SpeedFan)

Theory - accessing HDD places demand on electrical system which causes a strong change in voltage level at the speaker.

Anything look unusual? Have you done anything which could result in a wiring error (ground loop)? Is the battery beginning to fail?

Test - set power management to leave HDD turned on when plug into power adapter - plug in power adapter

Try the things which make it thump - does it still thump? If it stops thumping, then it may be a weak battery (replaced by connection to different supply).

Thank you for responding Cycloid Torus. I believe the sound is coming from the speaker. The hard drive is less than 6 months old.

Back