Thunderbird problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevs

Im having a weird problem woth thunderbird, I have 2 accounts on my xp professional machine. one is the administrator and the other a limited account i use to access the net. thunderbird works fine downloading the email from my ISP mail server if im logged on as an admin but when i set thunderbird up as a limited user with the same settings it doesnt work. It connects fine but it says their's no email. I wrote a test email to myself it picked that up fine though.

You are trying to pick up the same email for both accounts that you have on your XP machine? What is the name or your email provider?

Do you have it set in the Thunderbird to leave messages on the server after they have been downloaded?

I dont know if that is what was causing it but I give that a go. The messages had been deleted but i dont know if thunderbird did it. I turned the leave messages on the server function on sent myself some test emails and restarted thunderbird and it worked. but I turned the same function off again and restarted thunderbird and they were still there. But anyways it seems to be working know thanks.

It is still there because Thunderbird had already downloaded them from the server. If you have the setting to delete the messages once it down loads them then it will delete them from the server. It is set to not download them then it will leave them up there and when ever a program access your account it will just download all the new messages that it hasn't seen before. I haven't used thunderbird before but I would see if it has setting like a lot of other mail clients where you can have them stay on the server for like 5 days or how ever long you want to leave them there. That way you can download them in the two places you want them and then they will be deleted off the server after the amount of time you specify. So you won't have a problem with inbox on the server starting to over flow.

two issues here:
a) pc credentials for two users {admin, limited}
b) access to the ISP pop3/smtp account(s)

on (b), you can configure any/all users to access the same pop3/smtp accounts
on your ISP, but suggest you be careful -- see next cmnt,

on a), different profiles are used for each user which will create a different set
of files on your PC, eg
\Docs & Settings\$limited-user$\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xx.default\Mail​
which will be unique from the $admin-user$

if you carelessly use both logins to access the same postoffice account,
your email will end up spread across both accounts.

HOWEVER, if logged in as ADMIN, right-click a short-cut to TB, you can use
the RUN AS interface to launch TB as the $limited-user$ and thus keep all
the email in one location

the config for the $limited-user$ email is to configure it exactly as you did for the ADMIN,
(name/passwd, and the same pop3/smtp.domain.names)

you've started from the ADMIN perspective, so the files on your PC are relative to that profile.
1) copy the Profile directory from the ADMIN account to the same location
for the $limited-user$
2) reboot into SAFE MODE, take ownership of the
..\$limited-user$\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles directory
3) set perms for full access on that dir also

now the $limited-user$ will have the abilty to read/write to your postoffice,
and as long as ADMIN does the RUN AS trick, all the email will be owned by
$limited-user$

I thought of that as well jobeard but I didn't say anthing because I figured he had a reason for the two accounts. Although he is right pervs you probably should try to keep your email on one account, and if you are in the other account and want to check your email either log into the other one or use a webmail option. Just about all mail providers now a days have that option avaliable.

thanks, I just deleted the mail account on admin and kept the account on limited
and it seems to be working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back