TechSpot

Tiger Direct now accepting Bitcoin payments

By Shawn Knight
Jan 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Not to be outdone by Overstock.com’s announcement earlier this month, Tiger Direct on Thursday revealed they are now accepting Bitcoin as a payment method for more than 200,000 products. The company claims they are now the first major US electronics...

Read more

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,311   +551

This is cool as I like the idea that more retailers are starting to accept the online currency giving it more widespread adoption, however I still don't see this as being something that will work well in the short or long run (At least at the moment). I mean the reason for that is the value of a Bitcoin changes so rapidly up and down at a pin drop that I cannot really see this as being an easy investment for companies allowing people to pay with something that could lose half its value in a day.

I understand that values of anything change, but not as significantly as Bitcoin seems to fluctuate. If we get some stability in the value which will probably happen at some point then we could see this become alot cooler in my book for use. Just my Opinion...

wastedkill likes this.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

Volatility can be dealt with if you've got the right risk management strategies. In all likelihood, they will be converting Bitcoin payments to cash immediately after transactions. They will lose a little off the top here and there, but the majority of the risk is still held by the person holding the coins.

wastedkill likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

I want TigerDirect to accept my in-game currencies. :/ lol

wastedkill and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

I'd like anybody to accept my in-game currency as real payment. Ah yes we can all dream.

cliffordcooley and wastedkill like this.
  6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,723   +63

You can trade your in game currency for bitcoins... if you know the right sites, I don't.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

It seems to me that NO currency has any value, which isn't accepted universally. For all the world, the only thing I see happening, is the human race's mentality imploding into cyberspace, without any rhyme or reason..

This seems to be a marketing decision borne out of desperation, caused by, (what I believe to be), losing the ingoing computer parts e-tail war, to Newegg.\

I'm pretty sure the territorial currency laws haven't caught up with the "reality" of Bitcoin yet. But when you come right down to it, somebody hiding "currency" on computers throughout, could randomly be described as either, the distribution of malware, of counterfeiting.

But here again, I'm and old man, and don't believe that "cyberspace", is a real place, at all.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.