2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Newegg

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  3. Both

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Whaaaaaaaaat are we on about here Matey.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
By Samuraikel
Jun 15, 2009
  1. Who wins? I think both really. Tiger direct is cheap on SOME THINGS. Newegg is a brilliant site for... anything really. But same as Tigerdirect.

Who do you thinks the best?

2. zion21

zion21 TS Rookie

Although newegg is a great company who really does value their customers I usually end up ordering from tigerdirect. I have noticed that tigerdirect seems to have better rebates on products. Also newegg charges tax to certain states. In addition Microsoft bing has 15% cash back on everything. Cant beat that![​IMG]

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

Newegg, though the price is not the best, they are very good. Customer service is great, along with return policies, shipping is speedy and most importantly, Newegg's website has a much cleaner feel to me.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

Tigerdirect frequently has refurbished items that aren't-so-obvious. I hate being mislead or having to dig through an ad to find out if it's refurbished.

I have bought literally thousands of dollars of electronics and computer components from newegg and have yet to return an item. Their shipping is prompt, packaging stellar, prices extremely competitive - really couldn't ask for anything more.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Right, Newegg has the best navigation of any website I've seen. Plus the "manufacturers product page" links are always spot on.
    You can't fault Newegg for that. Any Etailer or mail order firm must charge tax on products they ship to states in which they base operations. In other words, Newegg is based in California, hence anything they sell and ship to a California address, must include charges for the prevailing retail sales tax.

Basically, this is just bad luck on your part, if you happen to live in the same state as the shipper. Newegg does business in CA, KY, and NJ, at least those are the states of which I am familiar.
    This is so true, and all my experiences have been likewise.

If there's any weak link in Newegg's food chain, it's the customers.

IE; The imbecile who crows how they have "high technical ability" in their signature, then claims a 750GB hard drive is defective when it only gives them "696 GBs" of capacity after formatting. The rest of the experts can't get the pins pushed in on an Intel HSF, and what with all those mad techie skills. No to mention, the "no SATA cables included", with an OEM hard drive diatribe. OY, two things I've never wanted to be, a reseller or a landlord!

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,914   +93

:haha::haha:

reminds me of a review i read on newegg from a cat that was "very high " in the technical knowledge department, he said " the hd 4870 x2 doesn't work for games! dont buy it"

me too, I have ordered mucho from newegg, they have been flawless in on time and customer service a 10!
    and what HK said right on! Tiger Direct has the feel of a dying Kmart blue light special thing going.

7. kayawish24

kayawish24 TS Rookie

newweg is way to go

8. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We buy weekly from both... Tiger Direct has better prices on stuff that are not selling well, but much higher prices on components in demand... and you have to watch their shipping costs which change a lot.
    Newegg is among the best when you need customer service or an exchange or a return... and they are actually helpful on the telephone.
    Do not overlook www.directron.com, www.frys.com, www.outpost.com, www.zipzoomfly.com and others. Although not perfect, we like Directron above all others... they are equal to Newegg in integrity and fair dealing... and their follow-up is the best on problems.

9. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

same, order from both all the time...

10. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 232

Tigerdirect gmv, has very low prices the site imo is more user friendly. I also receive magazines from tigerdirect idk if newegg has though. Both are really great sites tigerdirect is more appealing thats all.

11. raybay

On a month to month basis, NewEgg is much less costly than TigerDirect. The numbers speak for themselves.
    However, www.directron.com has much lower costs when shipping are included...
    Tiger is good if you are willing to buy products that are not selling well... but the high demand items are even higher than Frys or CDW

12. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

both are reputable companies. I have ordered from newegg in past. They stand by their products.

13. raybay

Newegg is easy for returns and exchanges.

Ever try to return something... anything... to TigerDirect... very nearly impossible without a major argument... This can be a major issue...

But still, we place a TigerDirect order about once a month, because some prices are too appealing... knowing we will not intend to return it.

14. MaXtor

MaXtor TS Rookie Posts: 93

I've never ordered from Newegg, prices are always too high. I used to order from Tigerdirect until I found NCIX (ncix.com = canada / ncixus.com = america). The Canadian version of the site has pricematch. So it doesn't matter what the price is on NCIX. I use pricecanada.com and shopbot.ca to find cheaper prices elsewhere and then just pricematch so I can order everything from one site: NCIX.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the American version of the site has pricematch.

15. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

I have purchase nearly everything from newegg (and that has added up to be alot) I also used FrozenCpu because they have a really good selection of hard to find case parts.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.