Tim Cook says staff unity is the only way to move forward after Trump victory

midian182

Staff member

Now that Donald Trump is set to become president, some of the companies he’s threatened in the past are feeling the pressure. One firm the Republican has had public disagreements with is Apple – he once called for a boycott of the company's products. But CEO Tim Cook has called for unity among his employees.

Buzzfeed News got hold of an internal memo sent out by Cook, which, while not mentioning Trump by name, refers to the “strong feelings” many people will have following the election result. The Apple chief also talks about the openness and diversity of Apple staff in the US and around the world.

“We have a very diverse team of employees, including supporters of each of the candidates. Regardless of which candidate each of us supported as individuals, the only way to move forward is to move forward together,” wrote Cook.

After Apple refused to help the FBI access the locked iPhone used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook, Trump asked “Who do they [Apple] think they are?” before calling for a boycott of the firm's products.

The President-elect also said he would force Apple to make all of its devices in the US, if he wins the election - a move that could spell economic disaster for the iPhone maker.

Tim Cook isn't the only CEO who’s faced Trump’s wrath in the past; he was also involved in a public feud with Amazon boss Jeff Bezos. Trump accused him of purchasing The Washington Post simply to lower Amazon’s tax bill, and called Bezos out over antitrust issues and the Post’s negative coverage of the Trump campaign. “Believe me, if I become president, oh, do they [Amazon] have problems. They're going to have such problems," Trump said.

Here’s Tim Cook’s message in full:

Team,

I’ve heard from many of you today about the presidential election. In a political contest where the candidates were so different and each received a similar number of popular votes, it’s inevitable that the aftermath leaves many of you with strong feelings.

We have a very diverse team of employees, including supporters of each of the candidates. Regardless of which candidate each of us supported as individuals, the only way to move forward is to move forward together. I recall something Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said 50 years ago: “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” This advice is timeless, and a reminder that we only do great work and improve the world by moving forward.

While there is discussion today about uncertainties ahead, you can be confident that Apple’s North Star hasn’t changed. Our products connect people everywhere, and they provide the tools for our customers to do great things to improve their lives and the world at large. Our company is open to all, and we celebrate the diversity of our team here in the United States and around the world — regardless of what they look like, where they come from, how they worship or who they love.

I’ve always looked at Apple as one big family and I encourage you to reach out to your co-workers if they are feeling anxious.

Let’s move forward — together!

Best,

Permalink to story.

I think it's great to push forward, it must really be a hard time for everyone after the huge polarization from within that is still going on due to the uncertainty of what is really going to happen.

But as has been said again and again, it's time for everyone to pull together and move forward. And I think this is a good message also to the usual suspects in this forum/news site.

"While there is discussion today about uncertainties ahead, you can be confident that Apple’s North Star hasn’t changed. Our products connect people everywhere, and they provide the tools for our customers to do great things to improve their lives and the world at large. Our company is open to all, and we celebrate the diversity of our team here in the United States and around the world — regardless of what they look like, where they come from, how they worship or who they love".

This clown could out bullsh!t Hillary Clinton! And yet, he still isn't Steve Jobs, nor never will be. Just another CEO who amounts to nothing more than a sociopathic talking head.

You have to wish that just once, an Apple exec would come out and tell the truth, "our overpriced products, produced by underpaid Chinese workers, are both the bane and addiction, of legions of class conscious yuppies and massive herds of iSheep the world around".

"I’ve always looked at Apple as one big family and I encourage you to reach out to your co-workers if they are feeling anxious.

Let’s move forward — together"!

Well, mean old uncle Tim must really be "Cook-ing" <(*) the family's books in his favor. Why else would he be drawing multi-million dollar paychecks, when "his Chinese nieces and nephews" are making a buck an hour?

I literally cringe when one of these pathological liar's lips begins to move, as I grab a phone book to shove down the back of my pants...:eek:

(*) Do you see what I did there?

Last edited:
#1 The media is what's polarizing the country. "Donald Trump" wouldn't have been possible without the free advertising from the media - who preyed on people that were starving for conflict and anger on TV and talk radio.

#2 There is a "caste" system steadily growing in this country. The Educated and the poorly educated.

The liberal media intelligentsia is spearheaded by WORTHLESS PhD degrees (everyone's a "doctor" yet no one can set a bone or patch a laceration).

These useless PhD degrees are there to stratify the "learned" over the non-learned. Thing is, they are far less productive on average, yet they have decided to dominate journalism since they know how to use big words (pedantic lingo) to great effect.

The liberal media was filled with seething hatred and immediate rebuke of "The Don" because he's everything they HATE:

a) richer than them
b) a White male (ie: not diverse enough LOL)
c) trolling them.

Unfortunately, they never knew how to deal with him. The only way to fight a troll is to ban or block them. He's a sociopath, billionaire megalomaniac troll. They couldn't block and ban him because he gained too much influence as they used his exploits to build their ratings.

They create Frankenstein and the first thing Frankenstein was to attack his creator and everything he cared about.

The Maddows, and Matthews and Hayes and the rest of MSNBC and CNN helped create the Don - and couldn't understand why people loved him so much despite the horrific and ugly things he was saying.

Trump is an alpha male bully sociopath.

People like Tim Cook, are no different than the media intelligentsia. They are terrified of the very idea of a Trump. They went to schools with safe spaces and inclusive environments and "accountable talk" (lol).

Trump is a product of the 1980's. I grew up in the 1980's. I recognized him immediately for what he was. He and I are extremely similar in personality and I realized early on (a year and a half ago) he was going to slaughter the GOP opponents and then make light work of Hillary after she marginalized Sanders.

Decapitate, eviscerate, survival of the fittest, Darwinism and Gordon Gecko style economics...

Now you have a virtual "Emperor" who has the legislature and the SCOTUS in his grasp.

Good job liberals!!!

The rise of The Don will be studied by historians forever.

He essentially broke what I call the "*** ceiling"

Basically that's: "how much of an *** can you behave like and still manage to win the Presidency?"

His score is over 9000.

But I'm not letting Hillary off the hook. She ran a boring, unenthusiastic campaign while she allowed the media and wikileaks to hammer her to death. 10,000,000 fewer voters voted than in 2008. Had Hillary had a more diverse ticket (read: not White) and picked a hispanic or black person to run with her, she might have taken the stink off herself. But she didn't.

I've never seen so little enthusiasm for "the first woman president" than 2016.

Someday their will be a female president. Just not today!

And she did not deserve it.

Despite all her years in government and all her connections, this beating she got was a disgrace.

And it was due to the very same white voters who overwhelmingly came out for the First Black president.

Last edited:
#2 There is a "caste" system steadily growing in this country. The Educated and the poorly educated.

The caste system has been here since the 1960s. In fact, it has reached critical mass, which is one of the things that made Trump's branding (Make America Great Again) so effective.

Tim Cook is part of that system. Making his statement more than a little ironic.

Disagree. Tim Cook isn't a hypocrite with regard to the caste system. He openly supports it, like all Fortune 500 CEOs.

This is why it's ironic.
I was attaching the term, "hypocrisy" to his statement NOT to his affiliations.
"Ironic", very often implies there's a bit of humor in any given situation. Tim Cook is not now, never was, or ever will be, funny.

What he is, and always will be, is a pompous, white, upper class, greedy piece of sh!t , going through the motions of pandering to diversity, while he sends billions upon billions of America's dollars to China.

Which, IMHO, makes him quite a bit more than, "ironic", and pretty much a full blown "hypocrite".

Do you think he ever goes to visit "his family", at the Foxconn dormitories? Do you think he sends his 100,000+ Chinese "children", a personally signed card on Chinese New Year?

Do you think he'd be willing to spend a week of his vacation on the iPhone assembly line?

A fine example of "irony" might be, UPS delivers your $1000.00 worth of car stereo equipment right on time. However, you walk out the door to find the $500.00 junker you were going to install it in, has been stolen.:D:'(

Last edited:
Well, in watching Trump the last couple of days it appears (even if it's just a local phenomenon) he's ingested a bunch of "grow up" pills, is on Thorazine, or maybe, just maybe, he is starting to really grasp what he's signed up for and it's a bit humbling, even for his ego. In looking at his web site today I noticed a number of his "promises" have been removed from his web site and one thing to consider ..... all of his BS might just have been to get attention and get elected. In any case, I think many of these CEO's would be wise to study him a bit more before they leap off the cliff .... especially since they will probably land on a whole pile of other failed candidates!

@MoeJoe Dude, that poetry makes both Bob Dylan's and John Lennon's, look like the absolute realism of a math textbook...:confused:

"I bandied about such vagaries, my kin could naught make sense of me".

OK, that's sung to the tune of Dylan's "My Back Pages".

Try singing it along with Ms. Georgia:

I've never quite heard a song which blends so much anger, introspection, and self loathing, with such a melodic delivery. BTW, Georgia's way hot too!

EDIT: OK, for any of you guitar players out there, not only is she lip syncing, but "strum syncing" as well. The song is being played in A major, but she never lifts her fingers off the A open chord. Despite of the fact this is a Dylan song, it does contain a total of 5 chords. (I, vi, ii, IV, V).

Last edited:
Read the article and had the scroll up to see who wrote it...and would you know, it's Rob Thubron!

Back