Time flies when I use Windows XP®

By Rick
Aug 3, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have another one of those non system-critical problems I've mentioned having with Windows XP again - This time I find it humorous though.

Whenever I start the "Windows Time" service that enables automatic time updates with a time server, my clock moves at twice the speed. I can actually watch the seconds go by twice as fast as usual...

And I know that the servers are not wrong, mainly because the time update only happens every 14 days.. not every second.

Anyone care to take a stab at this one? It is annoying, although I find it particularly amusing.
  2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Maybe time flies when you use it because its such a good operating system.... ;)
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

LoL! And I'm sure Microsoft's next operating system will make time go even FASTER.
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Maybe when Blackcomb (next gen windows) comes out your life will be even better.... ;)
  6. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 Newcomer, in training Posts: 645

LoL, i would've loved to see your reaction when you first looked down and saw it was 3:00am instead of 1.
  7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Why do you use that service then?
    If I was you, I'd use some NTP client like Tardis.
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Phatman > Funnily enough, my clock read 9am and I was about to go to bed, but in fact, it was REALLY 7am, so I had a couple of good hours left. I wasn't too surprised, but my girlfriend was when she asked the time. :eek:

Dude, if I needed mission critical time accuracy to plot planetary linear alignments, then I'd use something else. ;)

Computer times aren't very accurate anyhow. I just like having something to verify that the computer is ineed correct. This is just so I know I am not late for work, early for an appointment or on-time for a familiy reunion.. Two to four seconds I can live with.

I do appreciate the heads up though. I didn't realize it sucked that much.

Of course, now I will no longer use it after the recent discovery of this bug.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.