TechSpot

Time flies when I use Windows XP®

By Rick
Aug 3, 2002
  1. I have another one of those non system-critical problems I've mentioned having with Windows XP again - This time I find it humorous though.

Whenever I start the "Windows Time" service that enables automatic time updates with a time server, my clock moves at twice the speed. I can actually watch the seconds go by twice as fast as usual...

And I know that the servers are not wrong, mainly because the time update only happens every 14 days.. not every second.

Anyone care to take a stab at this one? It is annoying, although I find it particularly amusing.

2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Maybe time flies when you use it because its such a good operating system.... ;)

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

LoL! And I'm sure Microsoft's next operating system will make time go even FASTER.

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Maybe when Blackcomb (next gen windows) comes out your life will be even better.... ;)

6. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 593

LoL, i would've loved to see your reaction when you first looked down and saw it was 3:00am instead of 1.

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Why do you use that service then?
    If I was you, I'd use some NTP client like Tardis.

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

Phatman > Funnily enough, my clock read 9am and I was about to go to bed, but in fact, it was REALLY 7am, so I had a couple of good hours left. I wasn't too surprised, but my girlfriend was when she asked the time. :eek:

Dude, if I needed mission critical time accuracy to plot planetary linear alignments, then I'd use something else. ;)

Computer times aren't very accurate anyhow. I just like having something to verify that the computer is ineed correct. This is just so I know I am not late for work, early for an appointment or on-time for a familiy reunion.. Two to four seconds I can live with.

I do appreciate the heads up though. I didn't realize it sucked that much.

Of course, now I will no longer use it after the recent discovery of this bug.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.