Time to try again :) but which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I'm going to give Linux my third attempt. (after sound and modem issues forced me away the last two times.)

Anyway, I'm relatively new to linux still, especially with having forgotten much of what little I was able to learn last time around, and am now in need of advice on which distro to choose.

It must have at least kernel v 2.6.9, and preferably not be the most difficult to network (I am going to have to share an internet connection with an XP box WITHOUT the use of a router this time around - I dare say it'll be a challenge, but hopefully I can avoid turning my brain to pulp in the mean time.)

The only thing is though, I've used Mandrake 9 the first time, and Mandrake 10 the second. I'm not sure I can face Mandrake a third time as I'd like make a new and completely fresh start.

Suggestions are welcomed.

I've had a few tries over the years and things are definitely improving. I tried Suse 8.1. This installed easily and run OK. Not sure why I unloaded this - probably just moving machines about. Fedora core 3 went on a couple of weeks ago. Again this installed without hitch. Haven't got around to using it much. It is installed in dual boot with W2K.

Thanks for that. I've read good things about Fedora Core. I think I'll give it a shot. I always thought it was more of an advanced thing though for some strange reason.

Now to just somehow back up about 37 GB of data so I can re-partition (DVD burner probs in XP - long story and still not sure it works!)

lol. nope - I had to borrow money earlier to put fuel in my car. Times are hard right now.

I have a 60GB drive (my old 10GB extra drive finally gave up) in 2 partitions.

C: 20.0 GB total, 2.27 GB free
D: 37.2 GB total, 850 MB free

Annoyingly, it's my data storage drive (d:) that I'm going to have to re-partition. I have plenty of blank DVD's but I've had problems burning them - for some reason they aren't recognised on other machines (or often even my own!). Kinda frustrating considering I bought the DVD burner purely to back up this stuff. lol

Brilliant. I've finally found the firmware update for my drive (was ts03, now ts07 - needed doing methinks!) and I've been able to successfully back up data to DVD. Partition formally known as D: is now deleted.

Onwards and upwards! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back