Time to upgrade the ol' RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous Danny

Here's something I need help with. I'm gonna be upgrading the RAM on my laptop, but i need some help.
1. Does anyone use memorygiant.com and is it a good, relaible site.
2. Does anyone use newegg.com and is it a good, reliable site
3. On memory giant, it says that the memory for my computer (Compaq Presario 3000), has a specific ram stick designed for it, all other won't work. Newegg has RAM sticks designed by companies like corsair. Is that warning real, or will RAM like corsair's work on my laptop.
4. How many RAM pins does my laptop have
5. Is RAM resistant to fire?
6. If so, how much fire?
7. I wasn't serious about 5 and 6.

Anyone's help would be appreciated greatly.

Before going to a site that sells RAM i would first spend some time at the laptop manuf. site and find out as much as you can about your machine in regards to RAM. There's lots of info to consider: how much will it support: what type, speed, etc.
A lot of manuf. also have forums so search for those as well you can find out alot from others who might have the same model etc.
Then after that it's time to go shopping. I've had good experiences with newegg, i think you will find they are one of the higher rated vendors on the web.

patio. :cool:

If you are going to order online I would suggest not using anything but NewEgg.com especially since you aren't experienced. You need the ability to return items with minimal problems doing so. Buying from a less reputable company isn't encouraged, unless you have experience doing so and can make a experienced decision on your choice. Or you can always visit a local store such as BestBuy instead (but you may pay more).

When buying memory go with a tier 1 grade of memory.

Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, etc....

make SURE your motherboard supports the manufactuer.

in other words RTFM (Read The F#cking Manual)

if you use a cheapo grade of memory, like a non-name walmart brand, it may not work or reliability and performance will be affected. Remember - you get what you pay for.
Try bidding for high quality memory on ebay - that's what I did.

Anonymous Danny

Next time when you start a post, it WOULD help enormously if you give us the exact brand and model of your equipment (your laptop in this case).
We could have fired much more qualified answers at you!
Go to www.crucial.com and follow their 3-step memory-decider. Then compare prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back