Time Warner Cable to deliver one-gigabit broadband in Los Angeles by 2016

By Shawn Knight
Jul 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Time Warner Cable is bringing its ultra-fast broadband Internet service to Los Angeles. The company recently said they can offer Internet speeds of up to one gigabit per second to residents, businesses and government offices by 2016, far faster than...

Read more
  2. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,084   +332

I don't use TWC but I will comment for my friends that do.

"Will believe that when I see it"
    Littleczr and SantistaUSA like this.
  3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

A free market might sometimes be slow to adapt, but in the end, it forces companies to compete or get beaten by competition.
    Littleczr likes this.
  4. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 645   +227

Littleczr likes this.
  5. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TS Booster Posts: 100   +28

This isn't Time Warner caving to consumer demands (or empty threats), this is a result of Google pressuring them. My theory is that if the big boys don't get their **** together, Google will move in. If the ISP's play ball...well I doubt many people (relatively) will see Google fiber.
    Littleczr and SantistaUSA like this.
  6. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,084   +332

What free market.

The Telco game is a monopoly in most states!
  7. What they failed to mention is that the GB service will be $1000/mo. Oh, and a 250GB/mo data cap.
  8. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,293   +55

Just put in wifi. Little cost, and make it free.
  9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,441   +594

Karma is unavoidable, soon everything will be over Fiber (even TV) and consumers will switch to other companies that offer much more for much less.
    DANC is running fiber in our area as we speak (and I live in Upstate NY), I will be switching from TwC as soon as I can.
  10. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

I do not even watch TV anymore, I do all my entertainment need through my internet. I live with my sister and she is trying to get me to go half's with her on the bill.

What I would like is to pay for the lakers and dodgers on line with out the stupid TV black outs.
  11. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 939   +244

Much agreed.

I was going to say that I'm in Upstate NY, but you beat me to it. I'm in the Rochester NY region, and Greenlight Networks is running fiber to home there. It's in limited areas, but as soon as they come to my neighborhood, TWC is history for me. TWC reminds me of some American automakers where the govt has to force them to recall their cars. TWC has a monopoly in the area and they think that gives them the right to be thugs. Well, as I see it (the karma part) - their complacency with their monopoly is going to be their eventual downfall.

For anyone else in the Rochester NY area here's the link to Greenlight's web site -

$50 / mo for 100 Mbps with a one-time $100 install fee - no data caps. Commit to 2-years, and they wave the install fee. That's a much better deal than even the 15 Mbps / $35/mo service I'm getting from Earthlink/TWC.

As far as LA goes, that 1 Gbps service will probably cost $500 / mo.
    amstech likes this.
  12. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 939   +244