Time Warner Cable to deliver one-gigabit broadband in Los Angeles by 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

time warner cable internet cable broadband twc fiber

Time Warner Cable is bringing its ultra-fast broadband Internet service to Los Angeles. The company recently said they can offer Internet speeds of up to one gigabit per second to residents, businesses and government offices by 2016, far faster than what they currently offer anywhere else.

The move comes in response to a document released by the city back in April asking for information from companies on how to go about building an ultra-fast citywide broadband network. But as BGR points out, there's a bit more to the story once you start to dig a bit deeper.

As the publication points out, Time Warner Cable has had quite the change of heart as of late. Last year, a TWC executive said they didn't see the need to deliver Google Fiber-like speeds to customers and earlier this year, a TWC spokesperson noted that not everybody needs the capacity that a direct fiber network would provide.

What's more, National Cable & Telecommunications Association CEO Michael Powell dismissed the idea of fiber networks as little more than an irrelevant exercise in bragging rights less than two years ago.

So, why the sudden change of heart?

Cities are getting fed up with cable companies not wanting to update their infrastructure and are threatening to build their own fiber networks. Cable companies like TWC and Comcast are then put in a tough spot and as we see here with the former, they ultimtaely have little choice but to give in and invest in building networks with faster speeds.

Permalink to story.

A free market might sometimes be slow to adapt, but in the end, it forces companies to compete or get beaten by competition.

This isn't Time Warner caving to consumer demands (or empty threats), this is a result of Google pressuring them. My theory is that if the big boys don't get their **** together, Google will move in. If the ISP's play ball...well I doubt many people (relatively) will see Google fiber.

What they failed to mention is that the GB service will be $1000/mo. Oh, and a 250GB/mo data cap.

Karma is unavoidable, soon everything will be over Fiber (even TV) and consumers will switch to other companies that offer much more for much less.
DANC is running fiber in our area as we speak (and I live in Upstate NY), I will be switching from TwC as soon as I can.

I do not even watch TV anymore, I do all my entertainment need through my internet. I live with my sister and she is trying to get me to go half's with her on the bill.

What I would like is to pay for the lakers and dodgers on line with out the stupid TV black outs.

Karma is unavoidable, soon everything will be over Fiber (even TV) and consumers will switch to other companies that offer much more for much less.
DANC is running fiber in our area as we speak (and I live in Upstate NY), I will be switching from TwC as soon as I can.
Much agreed.

I was going to say that I'm in Upstate NY, but you beat me to it. I'm in the Rochester NY region, and Greenlight Networks is running fiber to home there. It's in limited areas, but as soon as they come to my neighborhood, TWC is history for me. TWC reminds me of some American automakers where the govt has to force them to recall their cars. TWC has a monopoly in the area and they think that gives them the right to be thugs. Well, as I see it (the karma part) - their complacency with their monopoly is going to be their eventual downfall.

For anyone else in the Rochester NY area here's the link to Greenlight's web site - http://greenlightnetworks.com/

$50 / mo for 100 Mbps with a one-time $100 install fee - no data caps. Commit to 2-years, and they wave the install fee. That's a much better deal than even the 15 Mbps / $35/mo service I'm getting from Earthlink/TWC.

As far as LA goes, that 1 Gbps service will probably cost $500 / mo.

Back