'Titanfall' will require a titan-sized amount of storage space

Shawn Knight

Staff member

titanfall 48gb

Titanfall is expected to be one of the biggest games of 2014 – both in terms of popularity sales and installation size. Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella recently revealed via Twitter that the PC version will require 48GB of storage.

As The Tech Report points out, this is one of the largest (if not the largest) PC games to date. In comparison, Battlefield 4 requires around 29GB, Max Payne commands 35GB and Call of Duty: Ghosts needs 40GB – a full 8GB less than Titanfall.

Whether or not the massive installation is a curse or a blessing will depend on a number of factors. If you have a slow Internet connection, it could take quite some time to download a 21GB install file.

And while those with large hard drives likely won’t have much to complain about, users with smaller solid state drives may not have enough room or may not like the idea of dedicating that much prime storage space to a single game. The good news, however, is that the price of flash storage has come down considerably in recent times. One can now purchase a 1TB drive for less than $500 or a 240GB SSD for under $140.

On the other hand, a large installation typically points to higher quality art assets like high-res textures. Combined with a powerful enough video card, such assets can really make a game pop in terms of visual eye candy. Fortunately, the game's minimum system requirements aren't too terribly demaning which means most modern gaming systems should be able to run Titanfall without issue.

Permalink to story.

It will be a little tricky to install on a 120/128GB SSD for sure, I had to move several games to my 2TB HDD in order to install Max Payne 3. You will just have to pretty much stick to playing this game while it's installed.

Ghost only takes up 30gbs not 40 according to my steam install.getting this for xbone first then pc the next month.leave me enough time to clear space off the drive.

No one installs games to their SSD. If they do they are *****s.
Not true I have all my origin games on my 120GB SSD like battlefield 3 and 4 and crysis and all the need for speed games and im planning on buying 2 1TB Samsung Evo's for purely games (Next Build)

No one installs games to their SSD. If they do they are *****s.

I install whatever current game I'm playing on my SSD. Just one game at a time, though. I'll probably pass on Titanfall due to that size. I'll put it on my 1TB Raptor.

I install whatever current game I'm playing on my SSD. Just one game at a time, though. I'll probably pass on Titanfall due to that size. I'll put it on my 1TB Raptor.
What do you do if you want to replay it lol?

Well by the time haswell-E finally comes out (correct me if I got the wrong socket, one with DDR4) those 1TB's should be more common which will bring them down alot, for example 120GB SSD's were like $500 when first released too

What do you do if you want to replay it lol?

Well, this may be hard to believe, but I save my final save games in an external hard drive and then I reinstall the game if I want to play it again. Pretty tough to figure that out, eh? :p

Well, this may be hard to believe, but I save my final save games in an external hard drive and then I reinstall the game if I want to play it again. Pretty tough to figure that out, eh? :p
Holy moley haha, your dedicated. I feel like just buying you a new SSD just because I feel sorry for you doing that

Holy moley haha, your dedicated. I feel like just buying you a new SSD just because I feel sorry for you doing that

Go for it pal, I'm always up for new toys.

And remember folks, that is without a singleplayer component...

Until we play it we won't know. Otherwise if it doesn't tickle your fancy, don't buy it. I have it pre-ordered and am looking forward to it, with a campaign or not.

This was a forgone conclusion. Throughout the PCs history hard drives have been getting bigger and bigger to accommodate larger and larger programs and games. I can remember when I upgraded my 486 SX to a 120MB hard drive from a 64MB. Which makes me scratch my head when I think about the new Xbone. What was Microsoft thinking when they put a non-upgradable 500GB HD in the Xbone intending to move the industry towards all digital downloads? And it's really not that much of a price difference between a 500GB and a 1TB HD.

Until we play it we won't know. Otherwise if it doesn't tickle your fancy, don't buy it. I have it pre-ordered and am looking forward to it, with a campaign or not.
What are you getting at? I was merely pointing out that it's a large size and without campaign maps...

Back