TechSpot

Tizen Association drums up more support for their Android and iOS competitor

By Shawn Knight
Nov 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Tizen Association has been able to drum up quite a bit of support for their upcoming open source Linux-based mobile operating system. In total, 36 companies have pledged support thus far including eBay, Konami, McAfee, Panasonic and The Weather...

Read more
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

"code in CSS, HTML5 and Javascript." Which will sit on top of Java or C/C++?
    Arris likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

Arent HTML5 apps a lot more sluggish than native apps? Isnt that why Facebook ditched HTML5 for native on iOS?
  4. Trying to bring another new mobile operating system to life feels kind of suicidal for me; I mean yes - there is room for improvement and innovation in the marketplace, as all of the big incumbents have their issues.

iOS has great default apps, but it's a closed sandbox with a high price of entry.
    Android is fragmented, sluggish, and possibly not what "Mobile" needs.
    Windows Mobile has a godawful UI
    BB10 is sort of the swan song of a dying brand.

But the thing is, how well can Tizen really do? They're going to need a lot more than 36 companies onboard from the get-go to avoid being a disappointing situation of a desolate marketplace, and beyond that, they need to convince a lot of companies to develop for them. Sure, some partners have signed on but to be fair, who actually gives a **** about McAfee?
    Littleczr likes this.
  5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,550   +96

Not sure how android is to "sluggish". HTC Desire HD, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5 have been good smooth experiences for me. The only thing that I sometimes see from reviews is that the touch and scroll experience on iPhone is a little bit better, but hardly warranting branding a whole OS as sluggish. And the HTC One S my wife has is smooth and quick as well, again nothing sluggish about it. I think that often Android is called sluggish but then it isn't always run on the latest and greatest hardware. To be fair to Android I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 on older iPhones has been reported as being less than a smooth experience.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.