Tizen OS to power Samsung's entire smart TV lineup in 2015

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung tizen tvs android intel ios operating system smart tv mobile os os

Samsung’s entire 2015 smart TV line will be powered by its homegrown, Linux-based operating system known as Tizen.

Won Jin Lee, Executive Vice President of the Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics, said building their smart platform around Tizen is a groundbreaking step towards a much more intelligent and integrated system.

As Samsung correctly points out, the way society consumes entertainment has evolved and now includes multiple devices and endless content from a variety of sources.

One benefit of Samsung’s smart TV software will be its ability to automatically search for and connect to nearby Samsung mobile devices, making convergence seamless and further pushing the idea of the multi-screen experience. Users will also be able to watch TV and live broadcasts on their mobile devices while on their home network, even if their television is turned off.

samsung tizen tvs android intel ios operating system smart tv mobile os os

Tizen was touted as the answer to Android and iOS although its rollout hasn’t exactly gone according to plan. As of writing, we’re still waiting for the first Tizen-powered smartphone (consumers and manufacturers alike are both afraid of leaving the comforts of Android and iOS).

Samsung has pushed Tizen out to several of its smartwatches and a few of its digital cameras but it’s worth pointing out that Samsung isn’t the only one with a dog in the fight. The Tizen Association enjoys a wealth of big-name members including Intel, LG, Panasonic, Orange, Vodafone and Sprint that would all like to see the mobile OS take off in a big way.

Whether or not Tizen becomes the next big thing remains to be seen and naturally, not everyone is convinced.

Permalink to story.

The bigger question is are they finally gonna beef up the security on these smarts tv and add some kinda firewall to the Operating systems.

Another reason for Samsung not updating their current smart TVs like they done on all their smart TVs ,, Hint get a Sony Smart Blu-ray player and dumb TV and save yourself money..

Meh, smart T.V.'s are a bit overrated in my book as most devices we can get at this point are smart in some way. For instance from my Cable company all my boxes are TiVo they provided and allow my phone to connect to the apps that support it (YouTube for example) and do whatever I want.

I get the point that some people would like to use certain extra functions on their T.V.'s but at this point I am more interested in the quality of the T.V. itself and functionality than I would smart features. I bought a TCL T.V. that is not smart but has a high refresh and such for much cheaper while delivering a great quality picture even compared to very high end T.V.'s I looked at and I have not regretted the purchase yet.

Though Tizen OS is pretty nice, will be interesting to see how this plays out but I have not been keeping up on this front so I guess I will have to.

Back