TechSpot

To Grease or Not to grease

By peterock
Nov 11, 2007
  1. I have a e6750 on the way( oh boy oh boy ) I also purchased a Zalman cooler. My question is should I use the thermal grease that comes with the Zalman cooler or should I use "Ceramique" by Artic Silver that I already own? Also how much do I put? 1 or 2 lines the size of rice?? Cooked or not cooked? Thanks all, you guys really help me out

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Personally, I`d recommend the Arctic Silver.

See HERE for instructions.

Regards Howard :)

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I second Howard's advice. Which Zalman cooler have you ordered btw ?

4. technicalfury42

technicalfury42 Banned Posts: 62

Those are the wrong instructions. He has a different AS product called Ceramique, which is not at all like Arctic Silver 5.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Thanks for the clarification technicalfury42.

Regards Howard :)

6. peterock

peterock TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is the one I ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003 I thought Ceramique was supposed to be better than silver. Well if it is or isn't It's what I got on hand. Is it still better than the grease that comes with the cooler? Or my other option is the stock thermal pad that comes with the CPU. Thanks

7. technicalfury42

technicalfury42 Banned Posts: 62

Yes, it's better. By "not at all like AS 5" I meant that it is a completely different formula. AS5 has 99.9% micronized silver. It also has a different technique for optimum usage. I have the exact fan for my X2 4200+ that I have Oc'd to 2.6Ghz. It is an excellent HSF.

8. peterock

peterock TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK so it's the Ceramique that I'm installing over my other options? Thanks all

9. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

Ceramique appears to be the best option.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.