To many faults with Xbox 360

Ididmyc600

Not sure if this has been aired already, I heard on the news today that microsoft have had a large number of 360's going faulty.

Although they wont say just how many are failing its a figure that they arent "comfortable" with.

They have set aside a large amount of money to deal with the influx of expected repairs....

Yay all those who fell for the hype and bought one...sucks to be you...

Regards

What do you mean hype? Just b/c the 360 fails on people doesn't mean it's a bad console. It's actually the most balanced system out of the three.... and I really don't think someone who owns a 360 is going to be turned off by it, just because their's broke.

If more 360's fail then is expected then surely its a badly made console, not a bad console.

To all those who are looking to buy one, be aware that the fault may be inherant in all the units shipped out to the shelves to date and you may end up having to send it off for repair some time after getting it

lets face it, most people have owned a first generation xbox for many years with out any problems with them, then along comes the new boy on the block and within 6 months or so of launch it turns out that they all have been made badly enough to warrant the concern of MS.

What if all the 360's produced so far have the same inherant fault and are all likely to fail, would you drive a car if it were that that had the inherant fault, of course not you would take it back and demand another model, alas there is no return and its likely that all the existing consoles have the fault and will fail in time.

So like I said to all those that fell for the hype..sucks to be you...

Me I have a first generation xbox and it hasnt broke in 2 years....

Alright, say your 360 does fail, are you going to go and buy a PS3 or Wii because of it? No, your going to return it and get a brand new one.

Everything has a likelihood to break, 360 just happens to break for a lot of people. And thats not always b/c Microsoft creates bad hardware, it may be because people keep it in bad places. It gets hot in confined places, just like any console, and breaks.

And it's wrong to say "sucks to be you"... would you want someone to say that when someone close to you dies? It's the same thing.. you don't want someone saying that to you when you put down $400 on a console, good or bad.

And they didn't fall for anything, it's a damn good console.

Xbox 360 'ring of death' costs more than $1B ...

Computerworld article discusses this issue.

Microsoft Corp. said today it was taking a $1 billion-plus charge against earnings to extend the warranty of all Xbox 360 consoles because of an "unacceptable number of repairs" caused by design flaws in the video game machine.

ColdFusion1990 said:
And it's wrong to say "sucks to be you"... would you want someone to say that when someone close to you dies? It's the same thing.. you don't want someone saying that to you when you put down $400 on a console, good or bad.

When someone close to me dies ??? How do you liken the Xbox 360 to a favourite family member ?

Let me guess, you have your xbox at the table at lunchtime and take it down the pub, maybe on a day out somewhere....

A 360 is just a machine, if i had one and it died I certainly wouldnt lose sleep over it or mourn the loss of it, get real .....

ColdFusion1990 said:
And they didn't fall for anything, it's a damn good console.

I never disputed its a good console, i merely stated that if your one of the unfortunates who bought one of the "possible" faulty ones then well.....sucks to be you....

Ok so the main fault is the red ring of death right?

That happens because the console gets too hot etc... Well, people should keep the damn console cool! :) If you just rely on the stock 360's cooling solution (two 60 or 80mm fans at the rear), it will eventually die. So we need to upgrade the cooling solution (without voiding ur warranty).
People should point a small AC fan to it, and attach one or two 80mm computer fans externally at the back of the console, or get an intercooler and mod it (power it externally using a power adapter).

There are ways to prevent overheating. They have to take care of the power brick too. Keep it ventilated, and if possible aim a small 40mm fan to it.

So.... As long as you keep the console ventilated (attaching fans to it), keeping it horizontally (preferably), not moving it while it's on, and taking care of the PSU, it shouldn't fail.

After all, this console has a triple core CPU and a high-end VGA, so you have to take proper care of it.

This thing is not an old SuperNintendo :)

wolfram said:
That happens because the console gets too hot etc... Well, people should keep the damn console cool! :) If you just rely on the stock 360's cooling solution (two 60 or 80mm fans at the rear), it will eventually die. So we need to upgrade the cooling solution (without voiding ur warranty).
People should point a small AC fan to it, and attach one or two 80mm computer fans externally at the back of the console, or get an intercooler and mod it (power it externally using a power adapter).

There are ways to prevent overheating. They have to take care of the power brick too. Keep it ventilated, and if possible aim a small 40mm fan to it.
At first I wondered if you were serious, then I kept reading and decided you were.

There is absolutely no way you should have to mod your storebought xbox360 to keep it from dying. I can't believe that someone would find it acceptable to spend several hundred dollars on something and then expect it to die if they don't make modifications to it.

It is poor engineering design by Microsoft if they can't make a console that can survive its own heat.

Yeah I know, sounds weird to make modifications to a $300-$400 console. The console's cooling system is faulty. M$ must resolve that issue ASAP.

But if you want that great console, and are willing to keep it alive, then you could do what I suggested :)

I'm going to buy the 360 soon, and I'm going to keep care of it. If you cool it down properly, there's no reason for the RRoD to appear. A very easy solution would be to get a niko intercooler (it really helps to exhaust hot air), and power it using an external adapter.

Very very easy to do =) Unless people are really lazy lol :zzz:

I will do something like this:
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t933036-xbox-360-cooling/

But mine will stand horizontally :)

I just got my nyko intercooler. Look, it's very easy to mod it:
dsc00700wf5.jpg

That way, your 360 stays cooler, and the intercooler won't kill it's PSU :) You just have to physically cut the power area, and that's it! :)

My personal opinion with the new generation of game systems is they all seem to get pretty toasty. From owning both an Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii I can conform they both get very warm, I even had to get an Wii Fan that goes in the back to blow out extra hot air. I don't own a Sony PS3 yet but I'm very sure they produce the same if not more heat than the 360.

I thought the Wii ran very cool :hotbounce . After all, it has a 7xx Mhz processor, a standard graphics card, and less than 128MB RAM.

But yeah, the Wii's case is very small :)

Even if your xbox 360 is running fine and has been running fine (most of my friend's xboxs have been) it is still very wise to get some kind of cooling unit even if it is just a simple fan. It will definitely extend the life of the system. Its the same with any electronics unit pretty much

True,even if your xbox 360 is running properly if would be good to add a cooling unit or some simple fan.It will cool down the system in exchange for longer life.Has anyone had a problem were the 360 scraches your discs? I've heard that a few poeple had that problem.

I had to send my 360 back cos it scratched a disc or 2. The console was only 3 months old. MS didn't argue, they took it back, replaced the dvd drive and returned it. When i 1st switched it on, i got the red rings of death !! :(
Then my mate said, "you sometimes get that if you don't fully plug your cables in". Sure enough i unplugged my cables, reseated them and the console was fine, and has been ever since.
The 360 has been benchmarked as being the noisiest of the next gen consoles and the most power hungry in certain operations, i.e. playing dvd's from it, and will hugely increase power consumption and probably reduce the life of the 360 due to heat etc.

yes it's noisiest console out there and the red ring of death problem is due to the console bieng hungry for power.

I personally think all consoles are useless ( except for the good ol' gamecube :D ) because after awhile new consoles will come with "ZOMG Better graphicz" or something but the Computer will always be around with newer games and newer stuff to make your gaming experience the best :)

Back