To partition or not to partition

By Geo_at_44
Jan 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I need to re-partition my hard drive but I am afraid to do so. I have 2 physical drives in my computer. My C: is the only one partitionned into 5 partitions. My D:is a whole drive not partitionned and I dont want to touch it. But I would like to increase the space on C: by combining it with partion E: If i do so, would I need to re-installed the OS?
    I am using Partition Magic 4 from Power Quest, but they dont any information who to increase the space of a partition without losing or re-installing it. Can anyone advise on this ...what is i should do?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

What OS are you using? Partition Magic 4 is pretty old, they are up to 8 now. The reason I ask is that if you have XP I don't think you can use anything before PM7 if you use NTFS (I think).

I have never used PM before version 6, but on 6 and up I know for sure there is a merge function where you can merge 2 partitions together. If 4 doesn't have merge does it have Resize? You may have to shrink down one of your partitions first, then resize C. But that wouldn't make E and C the same, if that was one of your goals.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

You can only merge ADJACENT partitions, i.e. if you have C-D-E-F on one harddisk, you can merge C-D, D-E or E-F, but not C-E or C-F.
    You will run into problems though because of the drive-letters changeing (unless you run XP and can reassign the drive-letters.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

His partitions are likely adjacent, because his D is a seperate drive. So it should go C-E-F-G-H if he has 5 partitions on that drive. Provided he hasn't switched the lettering in XP.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.