To replace or not to replace.. that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now its been a while since my pc has not been working. Ive had it for just over a year now. One day i turned it on and it would get to the Bios splash page but it would not go any further. There were no beeps nothing. All fans run, and from what i remember hard drives would start spinning too.

I thought maybe it was a PSU problem as the PSU would have very subtle flickering sounds, almost like sparking cables. However after taking the PSU to a technician they said it was working fine. This cost me 50 AUD! What he then told me was that it may be the mobo. But before i go and send it to a proper technician and fork out X amount of money id like to get your opinion.

As i mentioned above. The pc turns on, doesnt boot past the BIOS splash screen and just stays there. There are odd noises from the PSU. Here is my setup:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 4000+
PC-3200 (2x1gb) CAS2 Corsair DDR mem
Radeon X800 GTO (Iceturbo 2)
Thermaltake 680w power supply
Maxtor 300gb Maxline III
WD Raptor 36GB
Creative Audigy 2 ZS

I have not had the guts to take anything out and test them individually. But has anyone had or heard of this problem before? What could it be about the motherboard that would also make the PSU make that noise? Is it just a safety mechanism of the PSU?

SOS :)

Hi and welcome to Techspot!! :)

Test the RAM sticks individually. One of them might be bad. You can use Memtest86 to try them out.

Also, try them in different memory slots. That sometimes helps.

Regards :wave:

BTW, Great thread title :)

hey thanks for the welcome! the ram sticks are fine nothing wrong with them. Dont have a pc around that i can run memtest86 on anyway :) Im just wondering why/how this whole thing could happen in the first place.

What on earth is that noise coming from the psu, and why would the technician say it has something to do with the Mobo? GRRR

PSU's sometimes make noises, but they're not loud at all, so maybe that thing is dead.

Could be a dead mobo too, maybe the PSU killed it. (Somewhat unlikely)...

its not a typical psu sound. i know that for a fact. It is a very very quiet psu also. But these noises sound like burning noises.. but its not the PSU causing them .. or so i have been told that the PSU is not dead.

Do you know what part of the mobo could be dead? that it actually turns on (sometimes) but does not boot up to windows.?

If the mobo is dead, then it shouldn't even start at all. That's a weird problem.
I still suspect about your PSU. Too bad you can't test it on another computer.

Are all the power cables firmly connected? Is the 4-pin CPU power connector connected?

Also, try reseting your BIOS.

Regards :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back