To run SLI

By Zilliak
Jan 30, 2009
  1. I have a 8800Gts 512 G92 and i want sli they dont sell any 8800series cards anymore is it possible for me to get a 9800gt and use it as a phsyx card in sli?
  2. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

No. In order to run SLI, you must have two IDENTICAL cards.
  3. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

Are you sure, or does this only work with Nvidia, because people use crossfire with 2 different radeon cards.
  4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

they have to be identicle, the 3rd party can be the same or one can have one more memory than the other.
  5. Jien23

Jien23 TS Rookie Posts: 20

Actually, if i'm not mistaken, the TS wants to use the 8800gts card as a second card dedicated to run physx and the 9800gt as the main card.This is called physx processing and is different from typical SLi as it does not require 2 same-GPU cards. I've found a few websites containing some useful information to help you get started -

More info -

Latest nvidia driver - (needed to run physx accelaration)

How-to guide -�� (for vista)
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Yes, you can use it for PhysX without problems.
  7. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 164

No i want my 8800gts (G92) and a 9800gt as a physx
  8. Jien23

Jien23 TS Rookie Posts: 20

owh i see.. my bad. Anyways, it's the same thing either way - it'll work on 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series cards.
  9. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I'm thrown away as to why a person would want a 200 series card as physx, either way *shrugs* weird stuff.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.