TechSpot

to the techsperts

By tomrca
Sep 9, 2005
  1. i have started taking your advice and removed norton installed firefox and a new antivirus + a second drive

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

The ultimate system:

A dell computer (any make/model, it doesn't matter)
    Windows XP SP1 never upgraded once
    Windows Explorer used all the time
    Norton Antivirus

Yep that's it. That's what keeps this site getting so many hits every day!

3. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

:haha: :haha: :haha:

patio. :cool:

4. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,000

[for the texperts] two hard drives

if there is any tips on which drive i should keep any specific programmes please let me know. I have dedicated only one drive with an OS, so the other is safe from loss. I hope!!

5. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

The safest approach to this is to develop your own backup strategies and then follow thru on them...neither drive is "safer" as a HDD failure can occur at anytime and usually with little or no warning.

I use a few programs for this and although they aren't the only ones out there i have found thru experience they are the best for mu needs.

My main backup program is Acronis True Image. About 50 bucks U.S. it has saved me many times.
    When i did my latest re-build after installing XP Pro and SP2 and all updates i also installed FireFox, Thunderbird all my diagnostics software and Anti-virus programs.
    I then created an image using Acronis and burned it to CD. This is known as my "virgin" backup and is 10 times faster to restore than it would be for a repair install or for that matter a clean install of XP. It has everything i need for the basics.

Next i do an Acronis image of my HDD every 2 weeks and also burn those images. I also save the current image in a hidden partition on another drive. Reason for this is image files do not like scanning; defragmenting and some of the other maintenence routines i normally perform.

For the Documents and Settings folder i use SyncBack once a week and store that archive on the hidden partition. It allows incremental file comparisons so i'm not backing up from scratch; just what has changed since it last ran

Any programs i DLoad and test if they meet my requirements for being part of my machine get copied into a folder i call ZIPS. This ensures i have originals and this is burned to CD weekly as well.

Worst case scenario i am restored back to full running status usually within an hour and no further away than 1 week at most.

Works for me...

patio. :cool:

6. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,000

2 hard drives

thank you for your response. since i got your reply i have aquired acronis but now need to find out how to work it and need to read your reply a few more times so that it will sink in!!! How many cd's am i looking to need to back up image of drive one of 30gb with only 15% free space and the other 80gb with 60% free space? and will it save to dvd too ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.