TechSpot

Tom Clancy of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon fame dies at 66

By Shawn Knight
Oct 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Best-selling author Tom Clancy died late Tuesday in a Baltimore hospital. The former insurance salesman rose to fame in the mid-1980s with his first published novel, The Hunt for Red October, and later went on to co-found video game developer...

Read more
  2. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 120   +24

Read all his books, except the co-authored ones. RIP.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

His influence in media over the last 30 years was incredible. Books, movies, games - all huge sellers and an influence on our society. Safe travels Mr. Clancy and thanks for all the great reads!
  4. I've played all of Mr. Clancey's games, read his books and watched his movies. My favorites are the early Ghost Recon games, the Rainbow Six book, and the Splinter Cell games. He will be missed.
  5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

Wow, that's awful.
  6. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 427   +19

Didn't know these games were adaptations I have played ghost recon enjoyed it. R.I.P.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,068   +704

At least the 2nd great thriller author to die this year. Vince Flynn passed away in June. I hope George RR Martin is paying attention and finishes up his work quickly.
  8. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

I think I tried a demo of Splinter Cell, and picked it up for Xbox. But it wasn't fully to my liking. I prefer shooting aliens over humans. But I definitely knew of and respected Tom Clancy, and I'm saddened by the news. He was still young.
  9. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 147   +19

10. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 276   +29

Another sad day for the gaming community... rainbow six... splinter cell T_T
    RIP
  11. Chase_Daddy

Chase_Daddy TS Rookie

When I was 10 years old I started playing Rainbow Six on the MSN Gaming Zone. By far one of the best first person shooter games ever developed... and fun as well

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.