'Tony Hawk' studio Neversoft merges with Infinity Ward

Shawn Knight

Staff member

call duty tony hawk neversoft call of duty infinity ward

Neversoft Entertainment, the developer behind the Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk franchises, is closing its doors and will be merging with part-time Call of Duty creator Infinity Ward. The studios recently worked on Call of Duty: Ghosts at which time it was determined that the two had very complementary skill sets according to an internal memo from Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg.

The new “super-studio” will forge ahead as Infinity Ward seeing as the brand is already indelibly tied to the Call of Duty franchise. He said it would be strange not to see the Neversoft logo on future games but the important things - the Neversoft team’s talent, creativity, professionalism and commitment to creative excellence – all remain unchanged as part of this new chapter.

The memo revealed that Activision’s executive VP of worldwide studios, Dave Stohl, will run the new studio. He’s been with the company for close to 19 years and has led dramatic changes involving Infinity Ward in the past. Current studio head Steve Ackrick will stay on in a leadership role of some sort.

Neversoft studio boss Joel Jewett and studio director Scott Pease, meanwhile, have decided to hang up their hats and retire. They will remain with the company during the transition period but will exit later this year. Both staffers received praise from Hirshberg for their contributions to gaming over the past 20+ years.

Infinity Ward acknowledged the news on Twitter, saying they were thrilled about the merger and the entire team is excited about the future.

Permalink to story.

Not sure if a good thing or a bad thing. I remember the Tony Hawk games, those were some real fun games back in the days on the Nintendo 64. I wonder what this will entitle (Maybe some new ones or something of the likes?).

Not sure if a good thing or a bad thing. I remember the Tony Hawk games, those were some real fun games back in the days on the Nintendo 64. I wonder what this will entitle (Maybe some new ones or something of the likes?).
Now you can go racing around the COD maps on a rocket propelled skateboard equipped with machine guns and RPG's.

If your good developers see 95% of the workforce are pathetically stupid then leave to make a amazing studio I guess you gotta get some good devs somehow like making neversoft merge with you.

"The memo revealed that Activision’s executive VP of worldwide studios, Dave Stohl, will run the new studio. He’s been with the company for close to 19 years and has led dramatic changes involving Infinity Ward in the past. "

This pretty much insures it will go in the "bad" category.

Now you can go racing around the COD maps on a rocket propelled skateboard equipped with machine guns and RPG's.
LOOOOOOOOOOOL
"The memo revealed that Activision’s executive VP of worldwide studios, Dave Stohl, will run the new studio. He’s been with the company for close to 19 years and has led dramatic changes involving Infinity Ward in the past. "

This pretty much insures it will go in the "bad" category.

Thanks for killing that buzz :p Well that's disappointing but I guess we can always hope right?

Honestly I think the infinity ward team has the potential to make some of the best games we have ever seen if merged with some new creativity and given the responsibility of making original games.

No doubt about it. They were really fun! I feel like this is gonna turn out to be like DICE and EA. A great company will be ruined.

I think you might be on to something...

Back