toolbar randomly freezes, cannot right click on desktop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
my computer is a piece of trash!! everytime i start windows i get an error message that says nortion anti virus does not support ..... it wont tell me want it wont support!, then aa little later my toolbar will completly freeze and i cant click on anything. on top of that everytime i right click on any icon(except the recycle bin) the screen goes to my backround the r-loads the screen. very frustrating. any help would be appriciated. Thanks alot :confused:

I hav the same problem. accept my toolbar dose not freeze. but i cant run any programs that require a cd rom and whenever i right click on something it also just goes to my background and then re-loads the screen. its a pain in the *** cause i cant play any of my games. cause everytime i try to run a game it says it dosent detect the disk in CD rom.

1.The Norton problem.

Solution : Download AVG and Zone Alarm then uninstall Norton.

If you really want to keep Norton,there are some fixes here

2.The right click menu freeze problem.

Cause :This is usually caused by a faulty shell extension put in the right click
menu.Sometimes by spyware,sometimes by Divvx or Spysweeper or photoshop or any video program.

Solution :From - http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.ph...C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

how do i fix not being able to play games that require a CD rom. everytime i try to play a game and the disk is in the CD rom it says " CD-Rom error. could not detect disk in cd-rom" or something like that.

also everytime i turn on automatic updates in my windows security updates section. it automaticaly turns it back off about 5 minutes later. ive waited and watched it happen before.. what wrong with my computer? =(

Sounds like your CD-rom is dead. But u might try uninstalling it in the Device Manager, then reboot and let windows automatically find it and install the driver. If that does work, then most likely the laser is dead on the CD-ROM drive itself.

Do you have AV software? Have you done a scan for viruses lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back