Tooltip nuisances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaacksheep

Here's a question for a registry hack - does anyone know which reg key will eliminate that annoying popup tooltip in my system tray that shows my connection speed every time I dial up an internet connection? I hate that it just won't go away until I mouse over it or click it closed. (I'm running XP pro.) If anyone knows a tweak for this or the annoying "a network cable is unplugged" tooltip, please tell us how to remove these desktop nuisances.

TIA :hotbounce

Do you have a broadband connection on the same computer? If dial-up is the only connection you have, try deleting or disabling all other connections in Network Places. This should make it stop looking for a network cable.

No, I don't have a broadband connection, but I do share my dial-up connection with another computer. I just dislike the popup tooltips about the modem speed when I dial out and the cable being disconnected when I shut of my hub. TweakUI has an option to disable tooltips, but not THESE two tooltips.

I think that what I called "tool tips" are actually balloons... they don't show up on a mouse-over like tool tips, but instead show up like a balloon and don't go away unless you mouse-over them. They weren't in Win2k or any previous versions of Windows. I just want to remove them. If I find the answer on my own, I'll post another follow-up.

~jim

Ok...Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Name: EnableBalloonTips
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 disables tips ...you may have to Create the DWord..;)

Or, and I haven't tried this, but you can download (if you don't already have them) Powertoys for Windows XP... Open TweakUI and go to "Taskbar" and Unckeck "Enable balloon tips".

I got rid of them somehow, but I can't remember, I know, that's a lot of help.

triplate said:
Ok...Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Name: EnableBalloonTips
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 disables tips ...you may have to Create the DWord..;)

Awesome!!! Thanks so much Triplate - that's exactly what I wanted. I entered the DWord and rebooted. Then I turned off my network hub - no balloon tip! Just the icon showing I was disconnected. Then I dialed out to post a 'thank you', and again, no annoying balloon tip with my connection speed. I knew someone from here would know how to kill those balloons. This board ROCKS!!!!

Thanks again Triplate.

~jim :D

olefarte said:
Or, and I haven't tried this, but you can download (if you don't already have them) Powertoys for Windows XP... Open TweakUI and go to "Taskbar" and Unckeck "Enable balloon tips".

I got rid of them somehow, but I can't remember, I know, that's a lot of help.

I just checked that in TweakUI. I never noticed that in there before. Thanks. That would have worked too.

~jim

blaacksheep said:
Awesome!!! Thanks so much Triplate - that's exactly what I wanted. I entered the DWord and rebooted. Then I turned off my network hub - no balloon tip! Just the icon showing I was disconnected. Then I dialed out to post a 'thank you', and again, no annoying balloon tip with my connection speed. I knew someone from here would know how to kill those balloons. This board ROCKS!!!!

Thanks again Triplate.

~jim :D
You,re welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back