Top tech firms sign open letter pledging to support the Paris Agreement

midian182

Staff member

Donald Trump may have turned his back on the Paris Climate Agreement, but a huge number of tech firms, including Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon, have signed an open letter pledging their support for climate action that meets the targets set out by the accord.

The coalition, called “We are still in,” consists of over 1200 companies, educational institutions, mayors, governors, states, and investors. Most of the big Silicon Valley names have signed up, though Oracle and IBM are conspicuously absent [update: IBM has now signed up]. Unlike Elon Musk, IBM CEO Ginni Rometty decided to remain on Trump’s business advisory council following the US withdrawal.

The group says its members will remain actively involved with the international community as it looks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and stop the planet from warming more than 1.5 degrees Celsius (about 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. It also wants to accelerate the transition to clean, renewable energy.

“In the U.S., it is local and state governments, along with businesses, that are primarily responsible for the dramatic decrease in greenhouse gas emissions in recent years.” the letter reads. "Actions by each group will multiply and accelerate in the years ahead, no matter what policies Washington may adopt," they wrote.

The US is the only country ever to have left the Paris Agreement – Nicaragua and Syria never signed up in the first place.

The statement was coordinated by a number of organizations, including the World Wildlife Fund, the Center for American Progress, and Michael Bloomberg’s Bloomberg Philanthropies, which has also promised up to $15 million to help support the Agreement following the US’ exit.

Permalink to story.

Better title: Companies getting tax breaks and subsidies for 'green' projects sign open letter pledging support for further financial aid.
It's still a win for everyone, after all the whole idea of tax breaks and subsidies are meant for that, to encourage companies to act in a way -they may have or may have not acted without the break- that everyone wins.

US will now try harder now that we are not part of the Paris Agreement LOL ... I love this country but what a bunch of political bs that's going on over Trumps decision.

If you ask me, I don't think the US ever or would ever do enough to fight against Climate control. Has anyone ever bothered to look at LA. Last I heard or saw, smog was bad for your due to carbon dioxide. That still hasn't changed much.

Let's be real though, the climate is and will change whether humans were here or not. That's a fact and apart of life that happens naturally. I am sure humans have had a affect on the planet but over we are mere ants to the planet and nature would take it's course whether we are here or not.

If people look into the Polar Ice Caps, while we do see ice falling off the sides of some glaciers, Antarctica is actually gaining ice in most areas.

Better title: Companies getting tax breaks and subsidies for 'green' projects sign open letter pledging support for further financial aid.
It's still a win for everyone, after all the whole idea of tax breaks and subsidies are meant for that, to encourage companies to act in a way -they may have or may have not acted without the break- that everyone wins.

H&R Block doesn't advise you very well.

And this:

Tax breaks for the likes of Elon Musk are redistribution of wealth that could otherwise be used for much needed hard infrastructure and even truly admirable social welfare programs ... that aren't corrupt.

Too bad our illustrious leader is so wrapped up trying to defend himself against is former "no loyalty pledge" employee's. Anyone taking bets on him surviving his first full year???

US will now try harder now that we are not part of the Paris Agreement LOL ... I love this country but what a bunch of political bs that's going on over Trumps decision.

If you ask me, I don't think the US ever or would ever do enough to fight against Climate control. Has anyone ever bothered to look at LA. Last I heard or saw, smog was bad for your due to carbon dioxide. That still hasn't changed much.

Let's be real though, the climate is and will change whether humans were here or not. That's a fact and apart of life that happens naturally. I am sure humans have had a affect on the planet but over we are mere ants to the planet and nature would take it's course whether we are here or not.

If people look into the Polar Ice Caps, while we do see ice falling off the sides of some glaciers, Antarctica is actually gaining ice in most areas.

There isn't one scientific body anywhere in the world that denies climate change is mostly man made and only a handful of scientists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...tream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

Notice how even through there is a thin number of them, most of them are American.

"If people look into the Polar Ice Caps, while we do see ice falling off the sides of some glaciers, Antarctica is actually gaining ice in most areas."

Yes, rapidly melting in some areas and cooling in others. Yay for more extreme weather!

H&R Block doesn't advise you very well.

And this:

Tax breaks for the likes of Elon Musk are redistribution of wealth that could otherwise be used for much needed hard infrastructure and even truly admirable social welfare programs ... that aren't corrupt.

You should realize the difference between a tax break and a subsidy. One gives money directly to musk, the other to his company if he meets certain goals or sells certain products. Tax breaks to the rich do nothing for the economy while subsidies create jobs and encourage the advancement of technology. Complaining about them is ridiculous.

Also, corrupt social welfare programs? Social welfare in America may have problems but the amount of money lost to them is an absolute pittance compared to white collar crime and the defense budget. Trump will likely spend more staying at his golf course this year than all the money paid out to welfare recipients. Priorities.

Last edited:
With all the hidden agendas behind closed doors, I don't know what to think. Either way the little guy will always get screwed.

CO2 reflection spectra is well-known, and we have an example of a planet in this solar system with significant quantities of CO2 in its atmosphere that scientifically demonstrates what an excess of atmospheric CO2 does to the "climate" of a planet. Most metals are molten on the surface of that planet.

Back here on Earth, the carbon accumulated in fossil "fuels" was accumulated over millions of years. Humanity now releases the same amount of carbon that was accumulated over millions of years in a few hundred years or so by burning those same fossil fuels.

As I see it, it does not take a brilliant mind to realize that releasing millions of years of carbon accumulation in a few hundred years is almost certainly not a wise idea given that that other planet has significant amounts of CO2 in its atmosphere, and that because of that CO2 in its atmosphere is uninhabitable by humans.

If humanity can have no effect on the environment, then why is there a gigantic plastic island in the Pacific Ocean? What I don't understand is why "conservatives" seem to think that conservation of natural resources is a bad thing.

There isn't one scientific body anywhere in the world that denies climate change is most man made and only a handful of scientists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...tream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

Notice how even through their is a thin number of them, most of them are American.

"If people look into the Polar Ice Caps, while we do see ice falling off the sides of some glaciers, Antarctica is actually gaining ice in most areas."

Yes, rapidly melting in some areas and cooling in others. Yay for more extreme weather!

You should realize the difference between a tax break and a subsidy. One gives money directly to musk, the other to his company if he meets certain goals or sells certain products. Tax breaks to the rich do nothing for the economy while subsidies create jobs and encourage the advancement of technology. Complaining about them is ridiculous.

Also, corrupt social welfare programs? Social welfare in America may have problems but the amount of money lost to them is an absolute pittance compared to white collar crime and the defense budget. Trump will likely spend more staying at his golf course this year than all the money paid out to welfare recipients. Priorities.

giphy.gif

This is a resented view on life, the corporations are evil, the business owners are evil too as they exploit the hard working man...

That's the "popular" way to look at things, the real way to look at things, is that they provide options and employment for a lot of people. That otherwise, without this subsidies and tax breaks, would probably close whole departments and cut down on research teams and projects. "The rich keep getting richer"... well, go ahead and create a company and then work for scraps, that's certainly not the 'murica dream.

Maybe Trump is using reverse psychology on all you snowflakes. He pulls out of the Paris Agreement and all of you join in to improve it!! Ha he GOT you!!!

Maybe Trump is using reverse psychology on all you snowflakes. He pulls out of the Paris Agreement and all of you join in to improve it!! Ha he GOT you!!!
Dude you need to face it, he is not that smart.

Do you think it is possible to remain president if you don't listen to anyone? Politics is a game and if you don't listen everyone will bury you. That's right I compared politics to a game. That's just what I think of everyone in politics. But the game requires you to listen to everyone around you.

Back